2013-14 Michael Del Zotto Trade Rumors Michael Del Zotto
- Del Zotto was a healthy scratch 8 times for the Rangers before being traded.
Del Zotto was a minus six in his previous three games and since being traded (18 games) Del Zotto has 0 goals, 3 assists and is a minus five.
- "First, I would like to thank Kevin Klein and his family for all the great years that he gave the Predators. Drafted in 03 and having played over 400 games for the Predators, it's the hardest part of a managers job when you have worked with these players for so long. Since 03, Klein has gotten married, has two kids and one of his kids was born here in Nashville. He was great in the community and a good player for us on the ice and it's a difficult day for us. Having said that, today I have traded Kevin Klein to the New York Rangers for Michael Del Zotto. It's a trade of two defensemen. The reasons why we did this were quite a few. Michael is a left handed defenseman and Klein is a right handed shot. We felt that with drafting Seth Jones and Ryan Ellie getting better and better with every game, this was beginning to be an inevitable situation with our teams in terms of ice time and fit on the right side of Shea Weber, Seth Jones and Ryan Ellis..."
- "....Del Zotto fits in nicely on the left side and where he plays, you will need to ask the coach. It gives the coach a lot of flexibility there, it's also a change in the type of player. Kevin is a defensive defenseman and a very good defensive defenseman who played that role well. Del Zotto is what we like to think is the type of player we want to add. He has some great offensive upside. Two years ago he scored 42 points and he has great skating? ability, goes from D to O very quickly and can make that first pass out of the zone. We think this is the way the game is being played and where it's going and it's a team that struggles offensively a lot of our O comes from our D and I think that Del Zotto will help in that area. There are six years difference, that is not the reason we made the deal. Del Zotto has big time upside offensively and hopefully under our coaches that will be fulfilled. I think that is really about it, it's a trade that we made for today believing that this push to get back into the playoffs, he can help us and more importantly this is a trade for a long-term. He is an RFA at the end of the season but as we made the deal it is our goal to sign him to a longer-term contract.
- "Getting Del Zotto makes our defense more dynamic. Our D isn't very experienced besides Shea Weber. That is a concern but going forward I have faith that it will be a very good defense."
- "I believe our defense is better today and will be much better going forward. This was a hockey trade."
- On DZ and AV, "that was one of the reasons he was made available. We have scouted him for years and it's something that we have been talking about for a while. It's been public knowledge that he was available so we have had time to watch him play, review tape and I think we pretty well know what we are getting and we like the potential."
- On Klein's reaction to being traded, "like he always is, he is very professional, very calm. Kevin has been great. You talk about low maintenance, he was great as a player and in the community. That is always the hardest part, giving away someone who fits in so well with your trade. But it's a hockey trade and we feel that we will be a better team."
- On a new contract, "as I told him and talked to his agent, lets take our time and get to know each other. Make sure we are both very happy. He is coming off an experience where he wasn't on perfect terms bu we want to make sure that he is happy. I'm sure we will find a way to get a long-term deal done."
Methot is a left shot defenseman who as of yesterday is not happy that he had to miss a game for an injury that he didn't think was serious enough to keep him out. (Ottawa Sun)
It was reported about a month ago that the Rangers wanted Methot for Del Zotto.
Dreger said, "I think it's fair to say that they were considered a serious trade partner but I don't think the talks ever got to a point where either said decided to sit on it for a day or two and thought that there was some sense with it. The New York Rangers really wanted a right shot defenseman and yea there was talk about Jake Gardiner but they were more interested in Cody Franson. It just didn't seem like a good fit, it's not that the Leafs didn't have interest in Del Zotto, they did but they were mindful of his deficiencies as well. They thought that it was too early in the year to make that play."
Dater, in response to a question of what the Rangers wanted from the Avalanche, said that the Rangers were asking for a first round pick. (Dater)
The Rangers were watching the Sharks and Avs over the weekend.
All rumors about Del Zotto can be found HERE.
Del Zotto was a plus two with an assist, one shot on goal, 3 shot attempts blocked and two that missed the net.
He also had two hits and was credited with a giveaway.
1/4/14:?7:45PM:?No meeting has taken place yet between the Rangers and Del Zotto's agent but the expectation is that with everyone at the game there will be some kind of informal talk. (Elliotte Friedman on HNIC)
Del Zotto will be traded by the Rangers, "the experiment is over and he is not a 40 point scorer, he is not a 20 minute a night guy, so make a trade." (Glenn Healy on HNIC)
The Rangers may have interest in defenseman Tyson Barrie but Barrie, nor Ryan Wilson, are healthy scratches for the Avs today. (Dater)
The Avs are believed to be one of the teams interested in Michael Del Zotto.
The Maple Leafs had previously had interest in acquiring Michael Del Zotto.
For more on Del Zotto trade rumors,?CLICK HERE.
12/28/13: 8:37PM: On Hockey Night in Canada, Elliotte Freidman said, "Stralman, a right handed shot got hurt last night and Del Zotto played 24 minutes. There was some thought that the Rangers would pull him back but there are still teams that think it will get dealt."
Glenn Healy said, "if the Rangers trade him it will be a D for a D because of the Stralman situation but look for the Boston Bruins to call the Rangers about Dan Girardi. That is going to happen because that is a good player and there is no deal done. He isn't for a whole host of a ransom but it still isn't done. If they can get a lot back they will make that move."
The Rangers won't get Methot but may be able to get Patrick Wiercicoch. Weircioch has been a scratch lately but has "upside potential. (Ottawa Sun)
The Leafs, Sharks and Avs are interested in Del Zotto but the Rangers may have to change their asking price. (Ottawa Sun)
It is unlikely, due to Del Zotto's struggles that they will get a player of that caliber and that Rangers management will have to decide whether to take the best offer they have or hold out for a better deal. (NY? Post)
Ottawa, Colorado and Toronto all have varying degrees of interest and Toronto may be willing to move defenseman Jake Gardiner. (NY Post)
3:50PM: The Rangers would like to move Michael Del Zotto and/or Brian Boyle (Pierre LeBrun on TSN 1050).
Boyle is someone who could be moved out West (LeBrun)
Dreger said "they have their share of injuries. Their goaltending has been somewhat average with Henrik Lundqvist which is a remarkable statement because of how well he has played over the years. This team is searching for some identity. They as an organization don't know which way they are headed in. We know that there has been some trouble with Alain Vigneault in certain situations with how he relates to players and Michael Del Zotto is a classic example. They can't figure this guy out and Del Zotto obviously doesn't mesh well with Alain Vigneault."
Dreger adds, "they continue to look for defensemen, they continue to look for more size up front. They are are a team that is searching for answers and management is looking for a quick fix and that just doesn't happen. I think that perhaps we are seeing the real Rangers team here. The team that is in search of some change and in the New Year I wouldn't be at all surprised, not even in the New Year, when the roster freeze lifts guys I wouldn't be surprised if Del Zotto goes to Ottawa or somewhere else."
Darren Dreger said "Franson has tremendous trade value if you can believe it because he is a right shot defenseman and the market is always looking for that. I know that the New York Rangers would love to have Cody Franson. Dave Nonis could make a Del Zotto for Franson trade tomorrow if he wanted to but the Maple Leafs also covet that right shot. Does he need to be better, he does if he wants the money he was chasing in his last negotiation." (TSN Drive)
3:31PM: Glen Sather is continuing to shop Michael Del Zotto and the Toronto Maple Leafs are among the teams who have some level of interest (Dreger Report).
McKenzie said, "there is nothing imminent that I am led to believe. There is a roster freeze that goes into effect on Thursday and my understanding is that unless something comes out of left field that no one expects the Rangers aren't close on any trade and certainly not one that includes Michael Del Zotto. That is not from a lack of effort of trying to trade him. He and Alain Vigneault are not on the same page, his game is not nearly where it needs to be but he is a young defenseman with a lot of natural ability. When he and Steven Stamkos played minor hockey for the Markham Waxers in the Toronto area, these were the top two guys going into the OHL draft and looked like they were going to be dominant players. Stamkos has obviously lived up to every bit of billing that he has got but Del Zotto had some ups and downs during junior hockey but played well enough initially in the NHL to believe that he is going to be real good offensive defenseman but he is not getting it done now."
12/16/13: 10:31AM: The Colorado Avalanche have shown interest in Michael Del Zotto but the Rangers have made it clear that they want to acquire a top-four defenseman in return. (Ottawa Sun)
Colorado doesn't have that kind of player to trade for Del Zotto, according to the Ottawa Sun.
Del Zotto played in the Rangers top-four last season and was slated to be in their top-four this season before struggling.
Garrioch says that there is a lot of interest in Del Zotto but not a lot of interest in trading a top-four defensemen to get him.
Staple says that he doesn't know what Glen Sather was asking for, but whatever it was Snow wasn't interested in paying that price.
For more on Del Zotto trade rumors, CLICK HERE.
The Rangers are searching for a fair price for Del Zotto.
THIS SECTION has all of the updates and rumors about Del Zotto being moved.
Michael Del Zotto was a healthy scratch for the fourth time this month last night and Larry Brooks writes in the NY Post that it is becoming "increasingly clear" that Del Zotto isn't in the plans for Alain Vigneault.
Brooks says that the only reason why Del Zotto is still a Ranger is because they haven't received an offer good enough to take. He adds that the Rangers don't have enough depth on defense to take a discount for Del Zotto.
11:53AM: At CBC, Elliotte Friedman writes that the Rangers and Senators discussed Michael Del Zotto and quickly determined that there wasn't a match between the two teams.
He says that even though Del Zotto's value is a little low right now, the Rangers are "determined" to get a "fair price" for him.
Dreger said that Toronto isn't ready to move Gardiner, 23, and that Dave Nonis and the Leafs "aren't ready to push Gardiner out. They still see the upside."
Gardiner, 23, was a teammate at Wisconsin for two seasons with Ryan McDonagh and Derek Stepan.
6:31PM: On Insider Trading, Darren Dreger said, "there has been a back and forth between the Ottawa Senators and the New York Rangers. It's quiet now but Bryan Murry of the Senators did throw out names like Condra, Greening and Gryba. Not a fit for the New York Rangers but again, those three players were clearly made available in that discussion.
11:44AM: Darren Dreger tweets that there was no match between the Rangers and Senators for Del Zotto and that the Senators made Colin Greening, Erik Condra and Eric Gyrba available in a deal. He says that the fit wasn't right for the Rangers with those players.
Giannone said, "I don't get the feeling that the Rangers are in any great rush to part with Del Zotto. Although he has only shown it in flashes, and although he is a favorite whipping boy of some of the Rangers fan base, he is still young and has offensive upside from the blue line which makes him a commodity if he begins to tap into that potential. He is one of their one, a former first round pick of the Rangers, now does that mean he will be Ranger property for good, no. But if Del Zotto would bring back proven help in the form of a top-six scorer...sure it's a deal that the Rangers would consider. But remember, Del Zotto becomes more attractive in the next days and weeks for a trade, it also means that he is playing better and the Rangers would be the beneficiary of that better play which would make him more hesitant to be dealt. If he doesn't improve his trade value will be low so it may not matter anyway, perhaps too low to even give him away."
He added, "in essence I wouldn't be surprised if he remains a Ranger or if he ends up as part of a trade."
Staple writes that the Rangers are looking for a defenseman in return for Del Zotto, something that the Islanders don't have, and wonders if the Ranger would take one of the Islanders forwards and try to find a defenseman somewhere else.
From an Islanders perspective, Staple writes that Del Zotto would fit in with his old junior hockey teammate John Tavares and help the Islanders run the puck possession system that they want.
8:28AM: Bruce Garrioch, in the Ottawa Sun, writes that the Rangers are trying to clear cap space and that Del Zotto is available.
He says that the Senators, Oilers, Sharks and Hurricanes have interest in Del Zotto but that the Rangers are looking for a defensemen in return.
He notes that Del Zotto's name has been circulating around the NHL.
When Lavoie sent out an English version of the tweet, he wrote "Michael Del Zotto will be a healthy scratch Saturday in MTL. Don't know if his future is in NY. Hearing trade is a possibility."
Garrioch says that Michael Del Zotto is one of the names being discussed. He notes that Del Zotto has "dramatically regressed and underperformed" lately.
Del Zotto is an RFA at the end of this season.