WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- With his civil trial for sexual assault set to begin Oct. 4, Knicks point guard Derrick Rose says he hasn't been contacted by the police and expects to be "proven innocent."
"As far as the trial, that's something I can't think about," Rose said Monday at Knicks' Media Day. "It's not true, I will be proven innocent and I haven't been thinking about it. I'm letting my [legal] team handle it."
USA Today reported Monday that Los Angeles police continue to investigate Rose over the allegations, according to federal court records.
"This note is to clarify any misconceptions that the Los Angeles Police Departments does not have a current criminal investigation pending that names the suspects in the current civil case being handled by your office," Det. Nadine Hernandez wrote in a letter sent on Thursday.
Rose said he hasn't been contacted by the police.
"No, I haven't talked to anyone and this is my first time hearing about it," Rose said. "Once again, I'm not worried about it. I feel I can handle anything."
Waukeen McCoy, the attorney for the woman in the civil case, said by email that the criminal case "is still active and the LAPD is interviewing witnesses."
"It is unfortunate that Mr. Rose is not remorseful for his actions with his two friends where they, in my opinion, train raped plaintiff on August 27, 2013," McCoy said by email. "It is clear that he has no understanding of how serious these allegations are, and that at the end of the day he will have to deal with the consequences of his actions, whether it be in the civil or criminal arena."
The woman has been identified as a 30-year-old college student who is seeking $21.5 million in the civil lawsuit.
Rose's attorney, Mark Baute, did not immediately respond to an email seeking comment Monday but is on record saying the woman had consensual sex with Rose.
"The salacious allegations of a woman who is now on a media tour - who also claims to not remember much from that night - do not change what transpired that evening, which was consensual intercourse between Mr. Rose and the plaintiff," Baute wrote in a statement to the AP earlier this month.
The civil trial is slated to being Oct. 4 in Los Angeles, the same day the Knicks open the preseason in Houston. That is also Rose's 28th birthday.
The Knicks begin training camp Tuesday and it remains unclear if Rose, whom the Knicks obtained in a blockbuster trade in July and who is in the last year of his contract, will miss any time during the preseason because of the trial.
Knicks President Phil Jackson said on Friday the case "isn't keeping [Rose] up at night."
"I'm not worried about it, but if I do have to miss time, it's a part of it," Rose said. "Of course, I don't want to be in this position but it is what it is. I'm going to let my lawyers and let my team handle it."
Meantime, Carmelo Anthony said there is tremendous "excitement" surrounding the team, and cited the addition of Rose, who played 66 games last season following multiple knee surgeries.
"I've never played alongside a guy like Derrick," Anthony said. "I've played alongside other point guards in my career, different style, different type of point guards.
"But to play alongside an explosive guy like Derrick, someone who can pick the pace up, someone who's a threat at that position, the only thing that I can do is go out there and play basketball and and enjoy playing basketball again."
Of Rose, Anthony added: "He's extremely focused right now. He's healthy, he has a different mindset. He has a clear mind and he's ready to go out there and try to help us with our goals."