The Washington Capitals conclude a four-game road stretch when they visit the New Jersey Devils on Tuesday night.
New Jersey (27-37-9) has been eliminated from playoff contention and is returning from a six-game road trip to open a four-game homestand.
The Devils went 2-4 on the trip, which ended with a 3-0 loss to the Colorado Avalanche on Sunday.
Despite Cory Schneider playing well in goal, the Devils could not get anything going offensively and fell to the Avalanche 3-0 on Sunday. >> Box score
The Devils erased a two-goal deficit to come back and defeat the Canucks in a shootout, 3-2, Friday night in Vancouver. The injury-riddled Devils have won consecutive games for the first time in a month. Damon Severson ended the game in the seventh round of the shootout. MacKenzie Blackwood made 25 saves. >> Box score
- 3:18 VAN Elias Pettersson (Power Play;) Assists: Brock Boeser, Bo Horvat
The Devils took care of business on the road, defeating the Oilers in their barn, 6-3, on Wednesday night. >> Box score
- 7:34 NJD Kenny Agostino; Assists: Andy Greene, Kevin Rooney
- 9:37 EDM Sam Gagner; Assists: Jujhar Khaira, Matt Benning
- 14:22 EDM Alex Chiasson (Power Play); Assists: Connor McDavid, Oscar Klefbom
- 19:41 NJD Travis Zajac (Power Play); Assists: Damon Severson
The Devils scored the first two goals of the game, but that's all they could muster in a 4-2 loss to the Rangers at the Garden on Saturday night. >> Box score
- 16:26 NJD Damon Severson; Assists: Kenny Agostino, Michael McLeod
- 19:49 NJD Blake Coleman (Power Play); Assists: Will Butcher, Travis Zajac
The Devils' struggles continued Friday night as they were shut out by the Capitals in D.C., 3-0. New Jersey has lost five straight and has scored just one goal in its last three games. MacKenzie Blackwood made 33 saves. >> Box Score
- 2:40 WSH Andre Burakovsky; Assists: Michal Kempny, Travis Boyd
Tags: Washington Capitals
BOSTON (AP) Brad Marchand scored a power-play goal early in the opening period and Tuukka Rask made it stand up with 20 saves for his third shutout of the season, lifting the surging Boston Bruins to a 1-0 victory over the New Jersey Devils on Saturday night.
The victory improved the Bruins' streak of at least one point in every game to 16 straight (12-0-4) and they haven't lost in regulation since a 3-2 setback to the New York Rangers on Jan. 19. It's their longest since 18 games (14-0-4) last season.
Rask is 14-0-3 in his last 17 starts.
New Jersey-bred James van Riemsdyk wasn't friendly to his hometown team, as he led the Flyers in a 6-3 Devils loss on Friday night. >> Box score
- 12:53 PHI James van Riemsdyk (Power Play); Assists: Claude Giroux, Jakub Voracek
- 14:16 PHI James van Riemsdyk; Assists: Ryan Hartman
Tags: Philadelphia Flyers
The Devils found themselves on the losing side of a low-scoring game at The Rock in a 2-1 loss to the Flames on Wednedsay night. >> Box score
- 1:07 CAL Elias Lindholm (Power Play); Assists: Matthew Tkachuk, Johnny Gaudreau
- 13:52 CAL Mark Giordano; Assists: Johnny Gaudreau, Sean Monahan
- 16:47 NJD Kevin Rooney (Short Handed)
Tags: Calgary Flames
It went down to the wire Monday afternoon before the NHL trade deadline, but the Devils did trade pending unrestricted free agent Marcus Johansson to the Bruins in exchange for a 2019 second-round pick and a 2020 fourth-round pick.
Earlier Monday, the Devils dealt goalie Keith Kinkaid to Columbus for a 2022 fifth-round pick.
Johansson is now teammates with Brad Marchand, who concussed Johansson last year and whom Johansson ripped for the vicious elbow which caused Johansson's second concussion of the 2017-18 season. Johansson was injured on Jan. 23 last year and didn't return until Game 3 of the first round of the playoffs on April 16.
Danny Abriano, SNY.tv | Twitter |
Some of the best movies ever -- including some of the best sports movies ever -- have been filmed in and/or take place in New York. Here is our ranking of the 10 best...
10. Above The Rim (1994)
The Rangers and Devils are both scrapping at the bottom of the Metropolitan Division but it was the Blueshirts who came out on top in a 5-2 win over the Devils. Jimmy Vesey, Ryan Strome and Chris Kreider scored three unanswered goals in the first period as the Devils fall for the second time in their last five games. >> Box score
- 4:48 NYR Jimmy Vesey; Assists: Pavel Buchnevich, Tony DeAngelo
- 8:54 NYR Ryan Strome (Power Play); Assists: Chris Kreider, Pavel Buchnevich
- 14:23 NYR Chris Kreider; Assists: Mika Zibanejad, Jimmy Vesey
While the Rangers elected to play players who are expected to be dealt, the Devils held out Marcus Johansson and veteran defenseman Ben Lovejoy on Thursday ahead of any possible trades. Both players will make the trip to New York but are expected to be scratched again.
Without those two veterans, the Devils won for the third time in four games by getting goals from Travis Zajac, Steven Santini, Kurtis Gabriel and Miles Wood in a 4-0 home win over the Ottawa Senators.
"This time of year's never easy, and this is sort of the consequence of not having a good year to this point," said Devils goaltender Cory Schneider. Read More
While Cory Schneider was a brick wall in net, the Devils ran up four goals against the Senators for a big win at home on Thursday night. >> Read More
- 11:45 NJD Travis Zajac; Assists: Miles Wood, Will Butcher
- 14:34 NJD Steven Santini; Assists: Jesper Bratt, Will Butcher
Tags: Ottawa Senators
Gotta support the team.
The New Jersey Devils hosted a "90s Night" on Tuesday and perhaps the franchises most famous fan from the decade made an appearance.
Patrick Warburton reprised his role as David Puddy from "Seinfeld" at the Prudential Center during the ceremonial puck drop before the game against the Penguins.
Click below to watch video
The Devils couldn't mount a third-period comeback as the Penguins took them down, 4-3, at The Rock.
- 2:14 NJD Jesper Bratt; Assists: Marcus Johansson, Mirco Mueller
- 6:49 PIT Zach Aston-Reese; Assists: Sidney Crosby, Brian Dumoulin
- 12:12 NJD Marcus Johansson; Assists: Mirco Mueller, Jesper Bratt
- 18:24 PIT Nick Bjugstad; Assists: Marcus Pettersson, Dominik Simon
Tags: Pittsburgh Penguins
The Devils won their second straight game by beating the Buffalo Sabres 4-1 on Sunday at Prudential Center. >> Box score
- 7:25 NJD Miles Wood; Assists: Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac
- 13:38 NJD Jesper Bratt (power play); Assists: Kyle Palmieri, Damon Severson
- 19:04 BUF Sam Reinhart; Assists: Zach Bogosian, Jack Eichel
Tags: Buffalo Sabres
After a miserable first two games of their three-game road trip, it appeared the Devils were going to fly home miserable from St. Paul Friday night as they found themselves down by three. But they erased a three-goal deficit to force overtime when Nico Hischier scored the winning goal to give the Devils a 5-4 win. Cory Schneider replaced Keith Kinkaid with the Devils down 4-1 and stopped all 15 shots he faced, giving him his first regular-season win since Dec. 27, 2017. Ben Lovejoy tied the game with 2:45 left in regulation. >> Box score
- 6:07 MIN Brad Hunt (Power Play;) Assists: Ryan Suter, Mikael Granlund
- 9:55 MIN Joel Eriksson Ek
Tags: Ben Lovejoy, Cory Schneider, Kyle Palmieri, Marcus Johansson, Minnesota Wild, Nico Hischier, Will Butcher
Minnesota has lost six of seven (1-4-2) to fall into a tie for the final Western Conference wild card with Vancouver, though the Wild have two games in hand on the Canucks.
However, if recent history is any indication, the Devils may be exactly what the Wild need to steady themselves in the playoff race.
The Wild's lone win since the All-Star Break came last Saturday, when they beat the host Devils 4-2. Minnesota is just one of several Western teams to take advantage of struggling New Jersey, which is 1-4-1 in its past six games. In that stretch, the Devils have lost to the Blackhawks, the St. Louis Blues and the Los Angeles Kings.
The Devils got off to a hot start, but flamed out in a 5-2 loss to the Blackhawks on the road Thursday night. >> Box score
- 7:14 NJD Damon Severson; Assists: Brett Seney
- 16:42 NJD Travis Zajac (Power Play); Assists: Marcus Johansson, Jesper Bratt
- 18:17 CHI Patrick Kane; Assists: Dylan Sikura, Artem Anisimov
Tags: Chicago Blackhawks
The Devils couldn't get anything going against the Blues on the road Tuesday night, losing 8-3 in St. Louis. >> Box score
- 5:08 STL Alex Pietrangelo; Assists: Brayden Schenn, Vladimir Tarasenko
- 6:41 STL Ivan Barbashev; Assists: Robert Thomas
- 10:30 NHD Pavel Zacha; Assists: Kenny Agostino
- 15:47 STL Jaden Schwartz; Assists: Robert Bortuzzo
Tags: St. Louis Blues
Marcus Johansson scored two goals as the Devils beat the Carolina Hurricanes 3-2 on Sunday at Prudential Center. >> Box score
- 11:35 NJD Pavel Zacha (power play); Assists: Ryan Murphy, Nico Hischier
- 19:03 NJD Marcus Johansson; Assists: Nico Hischier, Kyle Palmieri
Tags: Carolina Hurricanes
Josh Bailey scored the game winning goal in the fourth round of the shootout as the New York Islanders capped a 2-1 win over the New Jersey Devils on Thursday night at Prudential Center with a four-game season series sweep. >> Box score
- 5:32 NJD Kevin Rooney; Assists: Kurtis Gabriel, Jesper Bratt
- 13:43 NYI Mathew Barzal; Assists: Ryan Pulock, Brock Nelson
The New Jersey Devils began their sell-off ahead of the Feb. 25 trade deadline on Wednesday by sending forward Brian Boyle to the Nashville Predators in exchange for a 2019 second-round pick.
Boyle, 34, has 13 goals and 19 points this season and leads all forwards in blocked shots with 36 and was second on the Devils with 88 hits in 47 games.
The 12-year veteran, who had also spent five seasons across the river with the Rangers, joined the Devils in 2017 but was diagnosed with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia, a rare but treatable form of cancer that affects the bone marrow, before the season began
In his first game at The Rock since leaving the Devils in 2013, Ilya Kovalchuk put the exclamation point on the Kings' 5-1 win Tuesday against the Devils. The Kings broke a tie early in the third by scoring three times in a span of 1:20. >> Box score
- 6:21 LAK Adrian Kempe; Assists: Carl Hagelin
- 3:31 NJD Pavel Zacha; Assists: Jesper Bratt, Drew Stafford
Tags: Ilya Kovalchuk, Los Angeles Kings
Ilya Kovalchuk isn't expecting a warm reception at The Rock Tuesday night when the former Devil and current King makes his first return to Newark since departing the team in 2013.
"I am pretty sure there will be a lot of booing, but I love that, so it's all good," Kovalchuk said, per NHL.com.
The Devils acquired Kovalchuk from the Atlanta Thrashers at the 2010 trade deadline, and in the offseason the Devils signed the goal-scoring winger to a 17-year, $102 million contract, a deal which was ultimately rejected by the NHL for cap-cirumvention. A 15-year, $100 million deal was approved.
Tags: Ilya Kovalchuk, Los Angeles Kings
The Devils capitalized on the power-play and Nico Hischier provided some late-game heroics with the game-tying and winning goals to lead New Jersey to a 3-2 overtime road victory over the Montreal Canadiens. >> Box score
- 5:22 MTL Jesperi Ktokaniemi; Assists: Artturi Lehkonen, Jordie Benn
- 19:26 NJD Will Buttcher (Power Play); Assists: Kyle Palmieri, Marcus Johansson
- 16:33 MTL Phillip Danault; Assists: Jeff Petry, Max Domi
The Devils raced out to a 3-0 lead and blew out the Pittsburgh Penguins 6-3 on Monday at PPG Paints Arena. >> Box score
- 13:08 NJD Travis Zajac; Assists: Miles Wood, Steven Santini
- 14:53 NJD Damon Severson; Assists: Blake Coleman, Travis Zajac
- 3:30 NJD Brian Boyle (short handed); Assist: Pavel Zacha
- 4:28 PIT Derick Brassard; Assists: Marcus Pettersson, Juuso Riikola
- 12:57 NJD Blake Coleman; Assists: Travis Zajac, Will Butcher
Henrik Lundqvist was not the only New York area athlete to impress at the NHL All-Star Game on Saturday.
Islanders' Mathew Barzal scored two goals and finished the day with four assists while Devils' Kyle Palmieri also had a goal and an assist in the two games they both played for Team Metropolitan, which won the 3-on-3 style tournament with a 10-5 victory over the Central.
Barzal and Palmieri both scored in the first period of the NHL All-Star Game final, with Barzal setting the tone with a wrister 22 seconds into the game.
Tags: Kyle Palmieri, Mathew Barzal
The Devils jumped out to an early 1-0 lead but the Ducks quickly responded to hand New Jersey a 3-2 loss. >> Box score
- 6:50 NJD Marcus Johansson; Assists: Jesper Bratt, Will Butcher
- 9:10 ANA Daniel Sprong; Assists: Nick Ritchie, Adam Henrique
- 10:38 ANA Troy Terry (Power Play); Assists: Hampus Lindholm, Daniel Sprong
The Devils allowed three unanswered goals to the Isles in the first period, and couldn't fight back in a 4-1 loss on the road. >> Box score
- 5:48 NYI Anders Lee; Assists: Nick Leddy, Jordan Eberle
- 9:19 NYI Michael Dal Colle; Assists: Scott Mayfield, Leo Komarov
- 15:12 NYI Jordan Eberle (Power Play); Assists: Nick Leddy, Brock Nelson
The Devils couldn't fight back from four unanswered goals to start the game, as they fell to the Blue Jackets on the road, 4-1. >> Box score
- 0:45 CBJ Cam Atkinson; Assists: Pierre-Luc Dubois
- 2:28 CBJ Boone Jenner; Assists: Josh Anderson
- 17:20 CBJ Artemi Panarin; Assists: David Savard, Cam Atkinson
The Devils scored five unanswered goals in a wild second period as they beat the Chicago Blackhawks 8-5 on Monday at Prudential Center. >> Box score
- 13:50 NJD Blake Coleman
- 3:07 CHI Patrick Kane (power play); Assists: Jonathan Toews, Dylan Strome
- 5:16 NJD Kyle Palmieri; Assists: Sami Vatanen, Nico Hischier
- 8:27 NJD Kyle Palmieri (power play); Assists: Will Butcher, Travis Zajac
- 10:07 NJD Travis Zajac; Assists: Miles Wood, Blake Coleman
- 14:58 NJD Sami Vatanen (power play); Assists: Jesper Bratt, Damon Severson
- 17:58 NJD Kevin Rooney; Assists: Drew Stafford, Brett Seney
- 18:19 CHI Patrick Kane; Assist: Henri Jokiharju
- 19:01 CHI Brent Seabrook; Assist: Patrick Kane
The Devils held off the Flyers in a 3-2 win, snapping their three-game losing streak at The Rock on Saturday afternoon. >> Box score
- 6:32 NJD Damon Severson; Assists: Drew Stafford, Pavel Zacha
The arrow appeared to be pointing upward last season for the Philadelphia Flyers and New Jersey Devils after they each reached the playoffs. But the only race the Flyers and Devils are involved in this season is the one headed for the bottom of the Eastern Conference.
The Flyers and Devils will each look to avoid falling into the Eastern Conference basement Saturday afternoon, when they face each other at Prudential Center.
Tags: Philadelphia Flyers
The Devils dropped their second straight game with a 5-1 loss to the Buffalo Sabres at the KeyBank Center on Tuesday. >> Box score
- 1:286 NJD Nlake Coleman; Assists: Miles Wood, Travis Zajac
The Devils lost to the Vegas Golden Knights 3-2 on Sunday at T-Mobile Arena in the third game of a four-game road trip. >> Box score
- 5:06 NJD Nico Hischier; Assists: Jesper Bratt, Ben Lovejoy
- 9:37 NJD Ben Lovejoy; Assists: Pavel Zacha, Drew Stafford
- 12:30 VGK Ryan Reaves
DALLAS (AP) Miro Heiskanen found out Wednesday morning he had made the All-Star team in his first season in the NHL.
He celebrated with two goals, including a tiebreaking score in the third period of the Dallas Stars' 5-4 victory over the New Jersey Devils.
Mackenzie Blackwood has provided an expected lift for the New Jersey Devils. Blackwood posted his second straight shutout, stopping 25 shots in the Devils' 4-0 win over the Vancouver Canucks on Monday. >>Read more
- 12:03 NJD Brian Boyle; Assists: Drew Stafford, Brett Seney
- 18:12 NJD Miles Wood (Power Play); Assists: Sami Vatanen, Jesper Bratt
Mackenzie Blackwood stopped 40 of 42 Bruins shots to earn his first NHL win as the Devils defeated Boston on the road, 5-2. >> Read More
- 0:25 NJD Damon Severson; Assists: Andy Greene, Travis Zajac
- 15:25 NJD Kyle Palmieri (Power play); Assists: Will Butcher, Brian Boyle
- 15:07 BOS Chris Wagner; Assists: John Moore, Danton Heinen
- 4:15 NJD Blake Coleman; Unassisted
- 12:43 NJD Nico Hischier; Assists: Miles Wood, Stefan Noesen
- 17:05 Bos Patrice Bergeron; Assists: Jake DeBrusk
- 19:12 NJD Blake Coleman (Empty net); Assists: Nico Hischier, Andy Greene
Tags: Boston Bruins
Blue Jackets goalie Sergei Bobrovsky stopped all 39 Devils shots as New Jersey failed to climb out of the cellar in the Eastern Conference in a 3-0 loss Sunday at Prudential Center. >> Read More
- 4:03 CBJ Cam Atkinson; Assists: Artemi Panarin, Ryan Murray
- 5:31 CBJ Oliver Bjorkstrand; Assists: Alexander Wennberg, Zach Werenski
- 10:47 CBJ Artemi Panarin
Tags: Columbus Blue Jackets
The Devils got the unexpected, too, in beating the Ottawa Senators 5-2 on Friday night.
They got a bizarre, play-of-year type goal that featured New Jersey Sami Vatanen making a diving size in his own crease, a loose puck hitting a glove on the ice to set up a 2-on-0 break that Hall capped with goal.
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Columbus Blue Jackets and New Jersey Devils will get familiar with one another over the next four days.
The Metropolitan Division opponents will play each other twice in a home-and-home starting Thursday night at Nationwide Arena. Columbus will then visit New Jersey on Sunday in the final game before the Christmas break.
"We have some division games coming up, which I love," Blue Jackets center Brandon Dubinsky said, according to the team's website. "I've played a lot of games in my career against the guys coming up, and I'm excited about that."