The Devils have fired radio analyst Sherry Ross on Tuesday, according to Chris Ryan of NJ.com.
Ross has served as the Devils color commentator on their WFAN radio broadcasts for the past 10 seasons. She worked as a hockey reporter with the Daily Record, The Record, Newsday and New York Daily News as well.
Ilya Kovalchuk wants to return to the NHL next season, and the Devils have given him and his agent permission to seek a deal with other teams, according to Pierre LeBrun of TSN.
New Jersey still holds the forward's rights as Kovalchuk left the NHL in the middle of his contract with the Devils.
LeBrun writes that Devils GM Ray Shero confirmed with Kovalchuk's agent, Jay Grossman, that the 34-year old definitely wants to return to the NHL next season.
The Devils will pick first overall in the NHL Draft after winning the NHL Entry Draft lottery.
The Philadelphia Flyers and Dallas Star will have the second and third overall draft picks, respectively.
The Devils have missed the postseason five straight seasons and finished their 2016-17 campaign with a 28-40 record.
The Devils have signed defenseman Yaroslav Dyblenko to a two-year, entry-level contract, the team announced Thursday morning.
Dyblenko spent the past five seasons in the Kontinental Hockey League. He spent last season with Moscow Spartak, where he recorded four goals, seven assists, and 51 penalty minutes in 51 games.
Through 180 KHL games, Dyblenko has 12 goals and 27 assists.
The Devils cleaned out their lockers at The Prudential Center on Tuesday, marking the official end of their 2016-17 season.
New Jersey finished in last place in the Eastern Conference and won just 28 games as the team missed the postseason for the fifth consecutive year. The Devils finished with the second-worst record in the NHL behind only the Colorado Avalanche.
The New Jersey Devils ended the 2016-17 season with a 4-1 loss to the Detroit Red Wings on Sunday at Joe Louis Arena. >> Read more
- 7:09 DET Riley Sheahan; Assists: Frans Nielsen, Darren Helm
- 11:19 DET Tomas Tatar; Assists: Gustav Nyquist, Henrik Zetterberg
- 10:18 DET Zetterberg; Assist: Nyquist
- 1:15 NJ John Moore; Assists: Jacob Josefson, Michael Cammalleri
- 17:27 DET Riley Sheahan (power play); Assists: Nielsen, Dylan Larkin
Anders Lee scored two goals and Jaroslav Halak saved 37 shots as the Islanders beat the Devils on Saturday at the Prudential Center. >> Read more
The Islanders and Devils play each other for the final time this season at 6 p.m. at the Prudential Center.
According to STATS:
- The Islanders beat the Hurricanes, 3-0, at PNC Arena on Thursday night, keeping their slim postseason hopes alive in the process. New York has won four straight games -- its longest win streak of the 2016-17 campaign.
- New Jersey lost, 7-4, to Pittsburgh at Prudential Center on Thursday night, dropping to 1-5-2 in the last eight games overall. The seven goals scored by the Pens were the most allowed by the Devils in any game this season.
The Devils fell behind early on Thursday night and were unable to keep up with the Pittsburgh Penguins, who defeated New Jersey by a score of 7-4 on at the Prudential Center to clinch home-ice advantage in the first round of the playoffs. >> Read more
John Moore scored 59 seconds into overtime and New Jersey Devils snapped a six-game losing streak with a 1-0 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers on Tuesday night.
Keith Kinkaid made 35 saves in posting his first shutout of the season and helping the Devils win for only the third time in 21 games (3-14-4).
The Philadelphia Flyers still have a snowball's chance of making the Stanley Cup playoffs, and until it completely melts they're going to keep believing it can happen.
The New Jersey Devils are hoping their next big win comes in the 2017 NHL draft lottery.
On Saturday night, the Flyers (37-32-8, 82 points) will try to keep their playoff hopes alive when they host the Devils (27-36-14, 68 points), who own the third-worst record in the NHL behind the Colorado Avalanche and Arizona Coyotes.
Despite three straight wins, the Flyers remain six points behind the Boston Bruins (88 points) with five games to play. But they are also two points behind the New York Islanders and Carolina Hurricanes and three points behind the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Anders Lee and Anthony Beauvillier scored to help the New York Islanders preserve their slim playoff chances with a 2-1 victory over the New Jersey Devils on Friday night.
Jaroslav Halak stopped 26 shots as the Islanders pulled four points behind Boston for the second wild card in the Eastern Conference. New York won at home for the first time since beating the Devils here on Feb. 19, going 0-4-1 at Barclays Center in between.
New Jersey Devils great Patrik Elias has retired from the NHL, the Devils announced Friday morning.
Elias played all 18 seasons of his NHL career with New Jersey, and will retire as a two-time Stanley Cup Champion and the Devils all-time leader in goals, assists, and points.
The Devils will celebrate "Patrik Elias Week" over the final three home games this season, including Elias dropping the ceremonial puck on April 4, an open practice on April 7, and Elias participating in warm-ups during the April 8 home finale.
Tags: Patrik Elias
The Devils have assigned forward Blake Pietila to their AHL affiliate in Albany, the team announced on Thursday.
The 24-year-old Pietila has an assist in 10 games with New Jersey this season.
The New Jersey Devils lost to the Winnipeg Jets in a shootout, 4-3, Tuesday at Prudential Center. >> Read more
- 0:52 WIN Nikolaj Ehlers; Assists: Blake Wheeler, Jacob Trouba
- 8:10 NJ Beau Bennett; Assists: Pavel Zacha, Dalton Prout
- 12:07 NJ Taylor Hall; Assist: Travis Zajac
Tags: Beau Bennett, Pavel Zacha, Taylor Hall, Travis Zajac
The New Jersey Devils host the Winnipeg Jets on Tuesday at Prudential Center at 7 p.m. ET.
According to STATS:
- The Jets won the first matchup between these teams this season. A win tonight would give Winnipeg a sweep of the season series for just the third time in franchise history (first two were 2005-06 as the Thrashers and 2013-14 as the Jets).
Tags: Blake Coleman
The Devils have signed D Michael Kapla from UMass-Lowell to a two-year entry deal, according to Andrew Gross of The Record.
Kapla will report to the Devils.
In 41 games for UMass-Lowell this season, the 22-year old defenseman registered three goals and 27 assists.
The Carolina Hurricanes broke a 1-1 tie in the third period and pulled away with a 3-1 victory over the Devils on Saturday. With the loss, the Devils are now eliminated from playoff contention. >> Read more
John Moore scored twice but the Devils still lost for the 13th time in 15 games, 4-2, to the Maple Leafs on Thursday night at Air Canada Centre. >> Read more...
- 2:59 NJD John Moore; Assists: Damon Severson, Kyle Palmieri
- 5:46 TOR Josh Leivo (power play); Assists: Auston Matthews, William Nylander
- 18:17 TOR William Nylander; Assists: Auston Matthews, Nikita Zaitsev
- 2:04 TOR James van Riemsdyk; Assists: Mitchell Marner, Tyler Bozak
- 9:04 NJD John Moore (power play); Assists: Pavel Zacha, Taylor Hall
- 19:14 TOR Connor Brown (empty net); Assists: Leo Komarov, Nazem Kadri
The Devils travel to Toronto to take on the Maple Leafs at Air Canada Centre on Thursay night at 7:30 p.m.
According to STATS:
Tags: Pavel Zacha
Joseph Blandisi scored on an odd-man rush with 54.6 seconds left in overtime and the New Jersey Devils handed the New York Rangers a rare road loss, 3-2 on Tuesday night.
John Quenneville set up Blandisi's third goal of the season, and Quenneville and Taylor Hall also scored for the Devils. New Jersey got just its second win in 14 games (2-10-2) behind 38 saves by Cory Schneider, including a stop on Kevin Hayes in close just before Blandisi's winner.
The win was the Devils' first in four games with the Rangers this season. >> Read more...
Tags: Cory Schneider, Taylor Hall
Boone Jenner scored two goals to help the Blue Jackets clinch a playoff spot in a 4-1 win over the Devils on Sunday at The Prudential Center. >> Read more
- 6:32 CLS Lukas Sedlak (Penalty Shot)
- 10:23 CLS Boone Jenner (Short Handed); Assists: Jack Johnson, David Savard
- 10:30 NJD Adam Henrique (Power Play); Assists: Pavel Zacha
While the Blue Jackets have everything working for them, the Devils are once again playing out the string.
The Devils broke a 10-game losing streak Thursday by beating the Philadelphia Flyers 6-2 on Friday night but began a new skid with a 6-4 loss in Pittsburgh the following night. When this season ends, it mark the fifth straight season the Devils have missed the postseason since reaching the Stanley Cup Final in 2012.
Sidney Crosby scored two goals, including an insurance empty-netter with 14 seconds left, to give the Penguins a 6-4 win over the Devils Friday in Pittsburgh. >> Read more
- 5:35 NJD Kyle Palmieri Assists: Taylor Hall, John Moore
- 6:37 PIT Phil Kessel Assists: Patric Hornqvist, Matt Cullen
- 13:30 PIT Jake Guentzel Assists: Brian Dumoulin, Sidney Crosby
- 14:02 NJD Stefan Noesen Assists: Pavel Zacha, John Quenneville
- 19:45 PIT Sidney Crosby (Power Play) Assists: Mark Streit, Justin Schultz
- 15:47 PIT Nick Bonino Assists: Carter Rowney, Tom Kuhnhackl
- 19:09 NJD Beau Bennett Assists: Adam Henrique, Jon Merrill
- 5:17 PIT Carter Rowney Assists: Tom Kuhnhackl, Tom Sestito
- 16:29 NJD Kyle Palmieri (Power Play) Assists: Joseph Blandisi
- 19:26 PIT Sidney Crosby (ENG) Assists: Conor Sheary
Taylor Hall and Adam Henrique each scored twice as the Devils snapped their 10-game losing streak Thursday night with a 6-2 win over the Flyers at the Prudential Center. >> Read more
- 17:00 PHI Michael Del Zotto; Assists: Jakub Voracek, Claude Giroux
- 18:11 NJD Kyle Palmieri; Assists: Travis Zajac
- 5:50 NJD Adam Henrique; Assists: Beau Bennett, Dalton Prout
- 9:40 NJD Joseph Blandisi (power play); Assists: Damon Severson, Pavel Zacha
- 11:13 PHI Brayden Schenn; Assists: Radko Gudas, Michael Del Zotto
- 1:33 NJD Taylor Hall; Assists: Travis Zajac
- 4:08 NJD Adam Henrique; Assists: John Moore, Kyle Palmieri
- 15:21 NJD Taylor Hall (empty net)
Tags: Adam Henrique, Beau Bennett, Damon Severson, John Moore, Joseph Blandisi, Kyle Palmieri, Pavel Zacha, Taylor Hall
The Devils have recalled F John Quenneville from Albany, the team announced Wednesday morning.
Quenneville has not recorded a point in two games with New Jersey this season.
In 53 games with the Albany Devils this year, Quenneville has recored 12 goals and 29 assists.
Tags: John Quenneville
Tonight's game between the Devils and Jets at the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ has been postponed due to the "severe winter storm impacting the area," the NHL announced late Tuesday morning.
The game has been rescheduled for March 28.
The Devils scored four goals in the final two periods but fell short to the Arizona Coyotes on Saturday, 5-4. >>Read more
1:27 ARI Radim Vrbata; Assists: Max Domi, Connor Murphy
The Devils have sent goaltender Ken Appleby to the AHL and have recalled forward Blake Pietila, the team announced.
Pietila has played in two NHL games this year, posting a minus-2 rating.
In 27 games in the AHL, Appleby has a .909 save percentage.