The Devils (13-14-7) welcome the defending Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins (22-8-5) to Newark on Tuesday.
According to STATS:
- The Penguins defeated the Devils, 4-1, on Friday night at PPG Paints Arena, improving to 9-1-2 (.833) in 12 games this month -- currently their best record in any December all-time. Pittsburgh has won 10+ games in December four times in franchise history (last time: 11-3-0 in December 2013).
- Including Friday night's setback, the Devils have scored two or fewer goals in eight of their last nine tilts. New Jersey has -18 goal differential this month -- worst in the Eastern Conference and third worst in the league overall.
- Pittsburgh has won both meetings with New Jersey in 2016-17, each win coming at PPG Paints Arena. The Devils are 7-1-1 in their last nine home games vs. the Pens.
- Sidney Crosby lit the lamp Friday night, scoring a goal for the third straight game, and for an NHL-high 24th time in 2016-17. Crosby, who has a marker in each of his two skates against the Devils this season, is looking to pot a goal in three straight games vs. New Jersey for the first time in his NHL career.
- Kyle Palmieri scored the Devils' lone goal Friday night, and has now lit the lamp in back-to-back skates for the first time of the season. Palmieri has four markers and a helper during his current four-game point streak vs. Pittsburgh.
- Pittsburgh is the only team in the league to boast three 30+ point skaters in 2016-17 (Malkin -- 39, Crosby -- 38, Kessel -- 34).
© 2016 by STATS.