The Devils won their second straight game by beating the Buffalo Sabres 4-1 on Sunday at Prudential Center. >> Box score
- 7:25 NJD Miles Wood; Assists: Kyle Palmieri, Travis Zajac
- 13:38 NJD Jesper Bratt (power play); Assists: Kyle Palmieri, Damon Severson
- 19:04 BUF Sam Reinhart; Assists: Zach Bogosian, Jack Eichel
Tags: Buffalo Sabres
After a miserable first two games of their three-game road trip, it appeared the Devils were going to fly home miserable from St. Paul Friday night as they found themselves down by three. But they erased a three-goal deficit to force overtime when Nico Hischier scored the winning goal to give the Devils a 5-4 win. Cory Schneider replaced Keith Kinkaid with the Devils down 4-1 and stopped all 15 shots he faced, giving him his first regular-season win since Dec. 27, 2017. Ben Lovejoy tied the game with 2:45 left in regulation. >> Box score
- 6:07 MIN Brad Hunt (Power Play;) Assists: Ryan Suter, Mikael Granlund
- 9:55 MIN Joel Eriksson Ek
Tags: Ben Lovejoy, Cory Schneider, Kyle Palmieri, Marcus Johansson, Minnesota Wild, Nico Hischier, Will Butcher
Minnesota has lost six of seven (1-4-2) to fall into a tie for the final Western Conference wild card with Vancouver, though the Wild have two games in hand on the Canucks.
However, if recent history is any indication, the Devils may be exactly what the Wild need to steady themselves in the playoff race.
The Wild's lone win since the All-Star Break came last Saturday, when they beat the host Devils 4-2. Minnesota is just one of several Western teams to take advantage of struggling New Jersey, which is 1-4-1 in its past six games. In that stretch, the Devils have lost to the Blackhawks, the St. Louis Blues and the Los Angeles Kings.
The Devils got off to a hot start, but flamed out in a 5-2 loss to the Blackhawks on the road Thursday night. >> Box score
- 7:14 NJD Damon Severson; Assists: Brett Seney
- 16:42 NJD Travis Zajac (Power Play); Assists: Marcus Johansson, Jesper Bratt
- 18:17 CHI Patrick Kane; Assists: Dylan Sikura, Artem Anisimov
Tags: Chicago Blackhawks
The Devils couldn't get anything going against the Blues on the road Tuesday night, losing 8-3 in St. Louis. >> Box score
- 5:08 STL Alex Pietrangelo; Assists: Brayden Schenn, Vladimir Tarasenko
- 6:41 STL Ivan Barbashev; Assists: Robert Thomas
- 10:30 NHD Pavel Zacha; Assists: Kenny Agostino
- 15:47 STL Jaden Schwartz; Assists: Robert Bortuzzo
Tags: St. Louis Blues
Marcus Johansson scored two goals as the Devils beat the Carolina Hurricanes 3-2 on Sunday at Prudential Center. >> Box score
- 11:35 NJD Pavel Zacha (power play); Assists: Ryan Murphy, Nico Hischier
- 19:03 NJD Marcus Johansson; Assists: Nico Hischier, Kyle Palmieri
Tags: Carolina Hurricanes
Josh Bailey scored the game winning goal in the fourth round of the shootout as the New York Islanders capped a 2-1 win over the New Jersey Devils on Thursday night at Prudential Center with a four-game season series sweep. >> Box score
- 5:32 NJD Kevin Rooney; Assists: Kurtis Gabriel, Jesper Bratt
- 13:43 NYI Mathew Barzal; Assists: Ryan Pulock, Brock Nelson
The New Jersey Devils began their sell-off ahead of the Feb. 25 trade deadline on Wednesday by sending forward Brian Boyle to the Nashville Predators in exchange for a 2019 second-round pick.
Boyle, 34, has 13 goals and 19 points this season and leads all forwards in blocked shots with 36 and was second on the Devils with 88 hits in 47 games.
The 12-year veteran, who had also spent five seasons across the river with the Rangers, joined the Devils in 2017 but was diagnosed with Chronic Myeloid Leukemia, a rare but treatable form of cancer that affects the bone marrow, before the season began
In his first game at The Rock since leaving the Devils in 2013, Ilya Kovalchuk put the exclamation point on the Kings' 5-1 win Tuesday against the Devils. The Kings broke a tie early in the third by scoring three times in a span of 1:20. >> Box score
- 6:21 LAK Adrian Kempe; Assists: Carl Hagelin
- 3:31 NJD Pavel Zacha; Assists: Jesper Bratt, Drew Stafford
Tags: Ilya Kovalchuk, Los Angeles Kings
Ilya Kovalchuk isn't expecting a warm reception at The Rock Tuesday night when the former Devil and current King makes his first return to Newark since departing the team in 2013.
"I am pretty sure there will be a lot of booing, but I love that, so it's all good," Kovalchuk said, per NHL.com.
The Devils acquired Kovalchuk from the Atlanta Thrashers at the 2010 trade deadline, and in the offseason the Devils signed the goal-scoring winger to a 17-year, $102 million contract, a deal which was ultimately rejected by the NHL for cap-cirumvention. A 15-year, $100 million deal was approved.
Tags: Ilya Kovalchuk, Los Angeles Kings
The Devils capitalized on the power-play and Nico Hischier provided some late-game heroics with the game-tying and winning goals to lead New Jersey to a 3-2 overtime road victory over the Montreal Canadiens. >> Box score
- 5:22 MTL Jesperi Ktokaniemi; Assists: Artturi Lehkonen, Jordie Benn
- 19:26 NJD Will Buttcher (Power Play); Assists: Kyle Palmieri, Marcus Johansson
- 16:33 MTL Phillip Danault; Assists: Jeff Petry, Max Domi
The Devils raced out to a 3-0 lead and blew out the Pittsburgh Penguins 6-3 on Monday at PPG Paints Arena. >> Box score
- 13:08 NJD Travis Zajac; Assists: Miles Wood, Steven Santini
- 14:53 NJD Damon Severson; Assists: Blake Coleman, Travis Zajac
- 3:30 NJD Brian Boyle (short handed); Assist: Pavel Zacha
- 4:28 PIT Derick Brassard; Assists: Marcus Pettersson, Juuso Riikola
- 12:57 NJD Blake Coleman; Assists: Travis Zajac, Will Butcher
Henrik Lundqvist was not the only New York area athlete to impress at the NHL All-Star Game on Saturday.
Islanders' Mathew Barzal scored two goals and finished the day with four assists while Devils' Kyle Palmieri also had a goal and an assist in the two games they both played for Team Metropolitan, which won the 3-on-3 style tournament with a 10-5 victory over the Central.
Barzal and Palmieri both scored in the first period of the NHL All-Star Game final, with Barzal setting the tone with a wrister 22 seconds into the game.
Tags: Kyle Palmieri, Mathew Barzal
The Devils jumped out to an early 1-0 lead but the Ducks quickly responded to hand New Jersey a 3-2 loss. >> Box score
- 6:50 NJD Marcus Johansson; Assists: Jesper Bratt, Will Butcher
- 9:10 ANA Daniel Sprong; Assists: Nick Ritchie, Adam Henrique
- 10:38 ANA Troy Terry (Power Play); Assists: Hampus Lindholm, Daniel Sprong
The Devils allowed three unanswered goals to the Isles in the first period, and couldn't fight back in a 4-1 loss on the road. >> Box score
- 5:48 NYI Anders Lee; Assists: Nick Leddy, Jordan Eberle
- 9:19 NYI Michael Dal Colle; Assists: Scott Mayfield, Leo Komarov
- 15:12 NYI Jordan Eberle (Power Play); Assists: Nick Leddy, Brock Nelson
The Devils couldn't fight back from four unanswered goals to start the game, as they fell to the Blue Jackets on the road, 4-1. >> Box score
- 0:45 CBJ Cam Atkinson; Assists: Pierre-Luc Dubois
- 2:28 CBJ Boone Jenner; Assists: Josh Anderson
- 17:20 CBJ Artemi Panarin; Assists: David Savard, Cam Atkinson
The Devils scored five unanswered goals in a wild second period as they beat the Chicago Blackhawks 8-5 on Monday at Prudential Center. >> Box score
- 13:50 NJD Blake Coleman
- 3:07 CHI Patrick Kane (power play); Assists: Jonathan Toews, Dylan Strome
- 5:16 NJD Kyle Palmieri; Assists: Sami Vatanen, Nico Hischier
- 8:27 NJD Kyle Palmieri (power play); Assists: Will Butcher, Travis Zajac
- 10:07 NJD Travis Zajac; Assists: Miles Wood, Blake Coleman
- 14:58 NJD Sami Vatanen (power play); Assists: Jesper Bratt, Damon Severson
- 17:58 NJD Kevin Rooney; Assists: Drew Stafford, Brett Seney
- 18:19 CHI Patrick Kane; Assist: Henri Jokiharju
- 19:01 CHI Brent Seabrook; Assist: Patrick Kane
The Devils held off the Flyers in a 3-2 win, snapping their three-game losing streak at The Rock on Saturday afternoon. >> Box score
- 6:32 NJD Damon Severson; Assists: Drew Stafford, Pavel Zacha
The arrow appeared to be pointing upward last season for the Philadelphia Flyers and New Jersey Devils after they each reached the playoffs. But the only race the Flyers and Devils are involved in this season is the one headed for the bottom of the Eastern Conference.
The Flyers and Devils will each look to avoid falling into the Eastern Conference basement Saturday afternoon, when they face each other at Prudential Center.
Tags: Philadelphia Flyers
The Devils dropped their second straight game with a 5-1 loss to the Buffalo Sabres at the KeyBank Center on Tuesday. >> Box score
- 1:286 NJD Nlake Coleman; Assists: Miles Wood, Travis Zajac
The Devils lost to the Vegas Golden Knights 3-2 on Sunday at T-Mobile Arena in the third game of a four-game road trip. >> Box score
- 5:06 NJD Nico Hischier; Assists: Jesper Bratt, Ben Lovejoy
- 9:37 NJD Ben Lovejoy; Assists: Pavel Zacha, Drew Stafford
- 12:30 VGK Ryan Reaves
DALLAS (AP) Miro Heiskanen found out Wednesday morning he had made the All-Star team in his first season in the NHL.
He celebrated with two goals, including a tiebreaking score in the third period of the Dallas Stars' 5-4 victory over the New Jersey Devils.
Mackenzie Blackwood has provided an expected lift for the New Jersey Devils. Blackwood posted his second straight shutout, stopping 25 shots in the Devils' 4-0 win over the Vancouver Canucks on Monday. >>Read more
- 12:03 NJD Brian Boyle; Assists: Drew Stafford, Brett Seney
- 18:12 NJD Miles Wood (Power Play); Assists: Sami Vatanen, Jesper Bratt
Mackenzie Blackwood stopped 40 of 42 Bruins shots to earn his first NHL win as the Devils defeated Boston on the road, 5-2. >> Read More
- 0:25 NJD Damon Severson; Assists: Andy Greene, Travis Zajac
- 15:25 NJD Kyle Palmieri (Power play); Assists: Will Butcher, Brian Boyle
- 15:07 BOS Chris Wagner; Assists: John Moore, Danton Heinen
- 4:15 NJD Blake Coleman; Unassisted
- 12:43 NJD Nico Hischier; Assists: Miles Wood, Stefan Noesen
- 17:05 Bos Patrice Bergeron; Assists: Jake DeBrusk
- 19:12 NJD Blake Coleman (Empty net); Assists: Nico Hischier, Andy Greene
Tags: Boston Bruins
Blue Jackets goalie Sergei Bobrovsky stopped all 39 Devils shots as New Jersey failed to climb out of the cellar in the Eastern Conference in a 3-0 loss Sunday at Prudential Center. >> Read More
- 4:03 CBJ Cam Atkinson; Assists: Artemi Panarin, Ryan Murray
- 5:31 CBJ Oliver Bjorkstrand; Assists: Alexander Wennberg, Zach Werenski
- 10:47 CBJ Artemi Panarin
Tags: Columbus Blue Jackets
The Devils got the unexpected, too, in beating the Ottawa Senators 5-2 on Friday night.
They got a bizarre, play-of-year type goal that featured New Jersey Sami Vatanen making a diving size in his own crease, a loose puck hitting a glove on the ice to set up a 2-on-0 break that Hall capped with goal.
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Columbus Blue Jackets and New Jersey Devils will get familiar with one another over the next four days.
The Metropolitan Division opponents will play each other twice in a home-and-home starting Thursday night at Nationwide Arena. Columbus will then visit New Jersey on Sunday in the final game before the Christmas break.
"We have some division games coming up, which I love," Blue Jackets center Brandon Dubinsky said, according to the team's website. "I've played a lot of games in my career against the guys coming up, and I'm excited about that."
Tags: Columbus Blue Jackets
The Devils were simply no match for the Maple Leafs, who dominated New Jersey, 7-2, at The Rock on Tuesday night. >> Read more
- 6:01 TOR John Tavares; Assists: Nazem Kadri, Auston Matthews
- 7:58 TOR Auston Matthews
- 13:38 TOR Patrick Marleau; Assists: Nazem Kadri, Travis Dermott
- 18:44 NJD Sami Vatanen; Assists: Brian Boyle
Bryan Boyle tied the game in the third period, but the Predators prevailed in a shootout to beat the Devils, 2-1, on Saturday night at Bridgestone Arena. >> Read more
The Rangers couldn't hang on to their third-period lead, but they came away victorious in a shootout over the Panthers, 5-4, on the road. >> Box score
- 3:37 NYR Mika Zibanejad; Assists: Jimmy Vesey, Kevin Hayes
- 18:10 NYR Vladislav Namestnikov (Short-Handed); Assists: Kevin Hayes, Fredrik Claesson
The skidding Devils (10-13-6) would feel much more comfortable knowing star left winger Taylor Hall would be available Friday night. Hall, who won the Hart Trophy as the NHL's most valuable player last season, left practice early Thursday with an undisclosed ailment.
"I don't have much for you yet," Devils coach John Hynes told reporters afterward. "I just know they pulled him off for precautionary reasons and I haven't talked to them yet."
Even with Hall, who is one of just six Devils to play in all 29 game this season, New Jersey has lost eight of nine (1-4-4) to fall into last place in the Eastern Conference.
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) Timo Meier scored twice, Joe Pavelski added his 20th goal of the season and the San Jose Sharks beat the New Jersey Devils 5-2 on Monday night for their fourth win in five games.
Tags: Anaheim Ducks
The Devils lost to the Anaheim Ducks 6-5 in a shootout after Marcus Johansson tied the game with under a minute left in regulation in a back-and-forth game Sunday at Honda Center. >> Box score
- 1:38 NJD Kyle Palmieri; Assist: Egor Yakovlev
- 2:12 ANA Jakob Silfverberg; Assists: Josh Manson, Andrew Cogliano
- 2:47 ANA Kiefer Sherwood; Assists: Carter Rowney, Brandon Montour
- 10:49 NJD Kyle Palmieri; Assist: Taylor Hall
- 13:08 NJD Damon Severson (power play); Assists: Marcus Johansson, Jesper Bratt
- 13:39 ANA Brandon Montour; Assists: Ondrej Kase, Ryan Getzlaf
Tags: Anaheim Ducks
The Devils got back in the win column after a six-game losing skid to down the lowly Kings in Los Angeles, 6-3. >> Box score
- 13:49 NJD Kyle Palmieri (Power play); Assists: Taylor Hall, Will Butcher
- 15:41 LAK Brendan Leipsic; Assists: Jake Muzzin, Alec Martinez
- 0:25 NJD Travis Zajac (Unassisted)
- 6:59 LAK Adrian Kempe; Assists: Drew Doughty, Austin Wagner
- 10:57 NJD Kyle Palmieri; Assists: Taylor Hall
- 12:28 NJD Will Butcher; Assists: Miles Wood, Travis Zajac
- 17:37 LAK Kyle Clifford (Unassisted)
- 11:06 NJD Nico Hischier; Assists: Sami Vatanen, Taylor Hall
- 19:52 NJD Blake Coleman (Empty net); Assists: Andy Greene, Damon Severson
Six years after meeting in the Stanley Cup Finals, the last-place teams in both conferences will get together Thursday night when the Los Angeles Kings host the New Jersey Devils at Staples Center.
The Kings (10-17-1) have already fired John Stevens as head coach and replaced him with Willie Desjardins, but he hasn't turned things around either. Stevens was let go on Nov. 4 after the Kings went 4-8-1 to start the season. They've gone 6-9-0 under Desjardins and have yet to win three in a row under either coach.
The Devils (9-12-5) are 0-3-3 over the past six games to fall to the bottom of the Eastern Conference standings.
Tags: Cory Schneider, Keith Kinkaid, Taylor Hall
The last-place Devils were blown out by the first-place Tampa Bay Lightning 5-1 on Monday at Prudential Center. >> Box score
- 13:31 TB Nikita Kucherov; Assists: Brayden Point, Ryan McDonagh
- 19:34 TB Brayden Point (power play); Assists: Nikita Kucherov, Victor Hedman
- 8:20 TB Tyler Johnson; Assists: Ryan McDonagh, Nikita Kucherov
- 11:26 NJD Egor Yakovlev; Assists: Sami Vatanen, Stefan Noesen
- 12:39 TB Yanni Gourde; Assists: Steven Stamkos, Ondrej Palat
Tags: Tampa Bay Lightning
Last spring, the New Jersey Devils learned first-hand how much ground they need to make up on the Tampa Bay Lightning, decisively losing a first-round playoff series four games to one.
As the teams get set to meet Monday night at the Prudential Center, the gap between the Lightning and Devils has widened considerably.
While the Lightning (19-7-1) are once again on top of the Eastern Conference, the Devils (9-11-5) are last in the East after finishing in eighth place a year ago.
The hottest goal scorer in the NHL takes his act Off-Broadway Saturday night when Patrik Laine and the Winnipeg Jets visit the New Jersey Devils at the Prudential Center.
Laine, the league's reigning First Star of the Week, scored 18 goals in November, the most ever in a single month in franchise history. After scoring a pair in Thursday's 6-5 victory over the Chicago Blackhawks, Laine has five multiple-goal games this season and 13 goals in his last six games.
His first goal Thursday was the 100th of Laine's NHL career. He is the fourth-youngest player in league history to reach that plateau, behind Wayne Gretzky, Jimmy Carson and Brian Bellows. He reached the milestone in only 179 games.
WASHINGTON -- The Washington Capitals go for their seventh straight win when they host the New Jersey Devils on Friday night at Capital One Arena.
New Jersey (9-10-4) is streaking in the opposite direction having dropped three in a row (0-1-2).
The Capitals (14-7-3) could get boost Friday with the return of forward Evgeny Kuznetsov, who missed the last six games with a concussion.
Two struggling teams - the host Florida Panthers and the New Jersey Devils -- will meet Monday night at the BB&T Center.
The Devils, who lost 5-2 to the host Tampa Bay Lightning on Sunday night, will be playing on shorter rest than Florida. The Devils (9-10-3) are also last in the Metropolitan Division with 21 points and are 2-9-0 on the road.
Tags: Florida Panthers
Devils goalie Cory Schneider allowed four goals in the first period en route to a 5-2 loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning on Sunday at Amalie Arena. >> Box score
- 3:19 TB Alex Killorn; Assist: Mathieu Joseph
- 7:21 TB Brayden Point (power play); Assists: Nikita Kucherov, Victor Hedman
- 9:15 TB Tyler Johnson; Assists: Brayden Point, Nikita Kucherov
- 9:39 NJD Stefan Noesen; Assist: Brett Seney
- 11:25 TB Cedric Paquette; Assists: Ryan Callahan, Dan Girardi
Tags: Tampa Bay Lightning
TAMPA, Fla. -- Quick strikes have been the tone-setter for the Tampa Bay Lightning during a season-long, five-game homestand.
The New Jersey Devils want to avoid another slow start when they visit Amalie Arena on Sunday.
In the first two games of the homestand, Tampa Bay has scored in the opening minute and rode the momentum to victories against Florida and Chicago. Overall, the Lightning have opened the scoring in four consecutive games after giving up the first goal in nine of the previous 10.
The Devils managed to force overtime with just seconds left in the third period, but Mathew Barzal put home the golden goal in a 4-3 loss at The Rock on Friday night. >> Box Score
- 7:24 NYI Jordan Eberle; Assists: Anthony Beauvillier