Victor Cruz hasn't had any contact with the Giants in the month since their season ended. He didn't even have the standard exit interview with coach Ben McAdoo the day after the playoff loss.
Yet even though his future in New York hangs in the balance, Cruz has no plans to force the issue and start the conversation about whether they want him back next season. And if and when they do talk, he doesn't feel the need to pitch the Giants about his worth.
"There's no grand pitch," Cruz said Tuesday evening before he was honored at the 37th annual Thurman Munson Awards dinner at the Grand Hyatt in Manhattan. "I mean they've known me for seven years. They know what I bring to the table. They know what type of person I am.
"If I need to pitch them now, something is wrong."
The 30-year-old Cruz is right, of course. There's no need for him to try to sell the Giants on his services as they ponder whether to bring him back for the 2017 season. By now the Giants know his value and they've likely decided whether he's worth the $6.4 million salary he's due or the $9.4 million cap number he carries, or whether they even value him enough to offer him a chance to return at a reduced price.
And both sides know that a decision has to be made before March 11 when Cruz is due a $1 million roster bonus.
Cruz, of course, wants to remain with the Giants - which he said again on Tuesday, just before he joined Mets infielder Wilmer Flores, Yankees catcher Gary Sanchez and former Yankees Graig Nettles and Bucky Dent as honorees at the gala to benefit the AHRC New York City Foundation, which assists children and adults with developmental disabilities. But he also reiterated that he knows it's a numbers game that is likely out of his control.
The only thing he can control is his health, which for the first time in three offseasons is actually good. He said he began his offseason work on Monday - months earlier than he began it the last two offseasons when he was still recovering from knee and calf surgery deep into the spring.
"I was just (talking to) my trainer and he was like 'Man, it's good to see you run around with both calves look the same, they look good, both legs look good,'" Cruz said. "It's a good feeling to say the least to be able to begin my training now, in February, and kind of build the puzzle pieces from there. It feels good to start that process off in February and not have to just catch up in May, June or July."
That inability to train surely was a factor in his diminished numbers in 2016 - just 39 catches for 586 yards and a touchdown in 15 games. It was a remarkable story regardless, but now the Giants have to decide if that was just the beginning of his comeback or a sign that his career is in decline.
Cruz, though, intends on continuing his career somewhere, even if it's not in New York. He said at the Super Bowl last week that he might look for a place that allows him to return to his old and more familiar role as a slot receiver. On Tuesday he said another thing he'll have to consider if he's forced to look for a new home is his "brand".
"Potentially," Cruz said. "It's obviously all about options and what's out there and what's on the plate for myself. That plays a little bit of a part. You've got to think about where you want to be and how you want your brand to move on as you attach yourself to a new team. We'll see how it goes."
He remains hopeful, though, that he won't have to consider anything else. He's a New Jersey kid who's spent his entire NFL career with the Giants. He has no desire to go anywhere else.
"I don't think about it," he said. "I want to stay in blue. I want to be in blue. The pictures on Instagram are going to look different with another jersey on. But I understand it's a business. So I'm just here waiting patiently, staying healthy and seeing what the future holds."