Happy Friday. Several items that you need to know this morning:
The Giants will play the Buffalo Bills in the annual Hall of Fame game in Canton, Ohio on August 3rd. That means the Giants will play five preseason games this summer. Season ticket holders need not sweat. The game is not part of the required season ticket package. Each franchise has a player being inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame the day before. Buffalo has WR Andre Reed and the Giants have DE Michael Strahan.
It has been reported that veteran offensive lineman Chris Snee and David Baas have been approached by the Giants regarding taking pay cuts. Snee is said to be amenable, while Baas is still pondering his options. They currently have a combined cap number hovering near $19.5 million, which for two players that played only six games in 2013 is intolerable.
The NFL is expected to announce the 2014 salary cap soon. It is rumored to be $132-133 million, which would be a full $10 million more than it was last season. Sure it helps every team, but for the Giants - who are looking to bring back and extend several players - this is really good news.
One of those players is believed to be LB Jon Beason. Art Stapleton of the Bergen Record tweeted this yesterday:
Of all pendingLinks of interest...
#NYG UFAs, the one I would be truly shocked if he ended up elsewhere in 2014 would be Jon Beason...Beason - currently repping himself - made no secret at season's end he wants to stay with #NYG. I don't think he'll look to break bank ...
- New OC McAdoo confident he can turn Blue offense around (NYDN)
- McAdoo will need a top TE for his offense to be effective (Star-Ledger)
- What to expect from the Giants' new offense (Traina)
- Former teammate David Diehl comes to Eli's defense (NFL Videos)
- NFL analyst Eliot Harrison believes the Detroit Lions, who led the NFL in dropped passes in 2013, could make a play for Giants' UFA Hakeem Nicks. (NFL.com)