EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - Landon Collins has struggled this season through a high ankle sprain that has bothered him for most of the year, and he reinjured it on Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys.
He wants to continue to play through it. The Giants are not so sure he should.
That will be debated over the next few days, but interim head coach Steve Spagnuolo left open the possibility that the Giants will shut the 23-year-old star down for the final three games of the season. Spagnuolo said Collins already told him that he's going to keep playing.
But, Spagnuolo added, "The thing you have to be careful with Landon is sometimes you got to protect Landon from himself."
Spagnuolo said that Collins was "a little gimpy" on Monday, after he reinjured his ankle during the Giants' 30-10 loss to the Cowboys when he chased down Cowboys receiver Cole Beasley and tackled him at the end of a 54-yard gain. After the game, Collins said it was feeling "better" and called the sprain "real mild."
"It's not too much of an end-of-season injury," he said. "It's good."
But with the Giants 2-11 and having nothing left to play for in the final three games of this miserable season, the decision may not be his. Spagnuolo said he no decision would be made "until I know 100 percent what he's dealing with here." Collins was scheduled to have an MRI on Monday.
Meanwhile, in other injury (and transaction) news:
- WR Darius Powe will need surgery on his broken foot, which he suffered making his first NFL catch in his first career game on Sunday. He was placed on injured reserve.
- OL Justin Pugh seems increasingly unlikely to play again this season. He will be examined by Dr. Robert Watkins in Los Angeles on Wednesday. The hope is that he won't need surgery, just rest. But the free-agent-to-be has missed the last four games, and like with Collins, there seems little point to him playing the next three.
- DE Romeo Okwara is expected to be activated off injured reserve on Tuesday. He has been on IR since mid-October with an injured knee.
- The Giants also waived DT Khyri Thornton and cut LB Trevor Bates from their practice squad.
- The Denver Broncos signed TE Matt LaCosse off the Giants' practice squad and to their active roster.
- The Giants signed Hunter Sharp off the Broncos practice squad, according to Mike Kils of 9News