Their offense leads the league in rushing yards per attempt (4.9) and are second in the NFL third down conversions (70).
They rank second in the NFL in rushing yards per game (150.2) and also rank...
- second in the NFL in 10+ yard rushes efficiency (14.1%)
- rank third in the NFL in 10+ yard rushes (47)
- fourth in the NFL in rushing first downs (86)
- fourth in the NFL in first downs rushing efficiency (25.7%)
- third in the NFC and tied for fourth NFL in rushing touchdowns (12)
- tied for third in the NFC and tied for fourth in the NFL in two-point conversions (2)
- tied for third in the NFC and tied for fifth in the NFL in first downs per game (22.5)
- third in the NFC and sixth in the NFL in third down efficiency (44.3%)
- fourth in the NFC and seventh in the NFL in average time of possession (31:24)
- fifth in the NFC and seventh in the NFL in total yards per game (391.9)
Their defense has some impressive rankings as well. They are tied for first in the NFL in interception return touchdowns (4), plus...
- tied for first in the NFC and tied for second in the NFL in defensive touchdowns (5)
- tied for third in the NFC and tied for fourth in the NFL in least third down conversions allowed (48)
- rank fourth in the NFC and tied for fifth in the NFL in total return touchdowns (5)
On special teams, they are first in the NFC and fourth in the NFL in kick return average against (20.7).
So, why are they only 3-8?
Well, if you recall, Washington won the NFC East last season so by virtue they drew a first-place schedule this year. They felt the full wrath of that last week when San Francisco came in and squashed them, 27-6 on national television.
Their two games against the Eagles were nearly identical. They got down big early and although they rallied both times, fell short. They lost a close one to the Detroit Lions and fell to Dallas, Denver and Minnesota in disappointing fashion.
There has been some tension between star QB Robert Griffin III and head coach Mike Shanahan. It also is apparent that Griffin is not the same player he was before injuring his knee late last season.