After the Giants waived Janoris Jenkins late last week, it was expected that a team would grab the veteran cornerback off waivers.
The Saints won the bidding.
According to NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, New Orleans is where Jenkins will be heading next. Since the Saints are playing on Monday Night Football against the Colts, Jenkins' waiver claim will become official on Tuesday.
Jenkins' departure from the Giants was highly publicized, as the whole issue stemmed from his Twitter engagement with a fan when he referred to him as an inappropriate slur. He didn't help his case when he basically told reporters his apology didn't mean anything.
"Because I really didn't see nothing so bad with it," he said at the time. "You know what I'm saying? Until people like y'all just started picking it up, making stories. So I just decided to apologize."
He was waived on Friday morning, to which Jenkins tweeted "best news ever."
"This was an organizational decision," Shurmur said in a statement Friday. "From ownership to management to our football operations, we felt it was in the best interests of the franchise and the player. Obviously, what happened this week, and the refusal to acknowledge the inappropriate and offensive language, was the determining factor."
By releasing Jenkins, the Giants cleared $11.25 million in cap space for next season. He now re-joins a teammate in Eli Apple, who was traded to the Saints last season before the NFL trade deadline. The Saints already clinched a playoff berth, so Jenkins will be playing for more than just the final two regular season games.
The 31-year-old had 54 combined tackles for the Giants this season, while matching a career high in interceptions with four. He also had 14 passes defended.