Now, with that said lets all raise a pint to Jerry Reese and laugh at some of the comments he thinks we should believe. Roll the highlights...
1. "We had a game plan and we are sticking to our game plan" - So what plan would that be? Loosing 3 out of 5 of our top Free Agents and ignore anyone on the open market that might make this team better?
2. "Kevin Boothe became a priority as well" - Really? Are we talking about the same Kevin Boothe? There are 25 Kevin Boothe's getting cut every day. And Shawn Andrews wasn't a priority? He was the 3x Pro Bowler, not Boothe or his brother.
3. “We made a responsible offer to Kevin as well. Kevin moved on. We would have liked to have secured Kevin back." - What's a responsible offer? What a cop out explanation. In 41 years of playing football through college, watching or covering sports have I never heard a GM say they put a "responsible" offer out there. Excuses. Was paying Sinorice Moss or Gerris Wilkinson for 4 years responsible?
4. “I’m not bothered by that because that’s mostly fans who say that kind of stuff and they really don’t understand the process. - Thanks for the insult Jerry. There are ten of thousands of NY Giants fans that played college ball, just like me. We understand the game. Those same thousands of fans understand and have careers in business. I would say Jerry Reese (DII football) has underestimated his fan base.
5. “When we drafted Kevin Boss and Steve Smith, the same people who were sending me the mail saying they don’t like those guys, are the same guys saying ‘Now, why did you let them go? - when did Jerry Reese start reading fan mail or did he mean email? Did Jerry give out his email at tailgate party or something? I must have missed that. Can someone share...I'd like to send my comments.
6. "Our cap situation is we’re flexible, we can still do some things if we need" Then for the love of God, do something that will actually help this team. I got an idea: How about a linebacker...oh yea, too late for late. NEXT!
7. "We have Travis Beckum, we think he can catch 35 balls. We think some of the other young tight ends we have can contribute as a receiver as well." - Please someone stop him there. Who is he kidding? Eli can't work with Beckum unless he wants his QB on his back. Beckum is never on the field healthy, the guy is soft. And did someone tell Jerry Reese that Ben Patrick retired? He's here at bar with me! Next round is on Ben.
8.“How many big, sexy moves did the Green Bay Packers make last year? I don’t remember a lot. Who won before? Pittsburgh. How many big sexy moves did they have? Who won the Super Bowl before Pittsburgh? - Who needs sexy...both the Steelers & the Packers were both playoff teams the year before they won the superbowl.
9. "We’ll continue to look for players to make our roster stronger" - Jerry have you been on vacation? Barrett Rudd, Nick Barnett, Paul Posluszny, Jerricho Cotchery, Zach Miller were all available.
10. "It wasn’t like we were 6-10. We were 10-6. We expect to build off that " - Jerry must be building sand castles with the PSL money, because I'd like to know where this building is taking place. Smith for Cruz? Boss for Beckum? O'Hara for Baas? Cofield for Joseph or Martin might work out, but you can't rest your reputation on the signing of a free agent punter.
I propose a toast...to Football! May we never see another lock out. Too much time to prepare can be costly!