Giants head coach Pat Shurmur said Tuesday that the team will not suspend backup QB Kyle Lauletta after he was arrested last week for a traffic violation in Weehawken, N.J.
"I've spoken to him numerous times since the event, and we have internal ways of handling it but it will not include a suspension," Shurmur told reporters at the Giants' practice facility.
Shurmur said the 22-year-old Lauletta is "back to work and trying to get himself ready to play" after the Oct. 30 incident. Lauletta was arrested while he was driving to the East Rutherford facility. He was trying to make a right turn from the wrong lane and ignored a police officer's request to continue straight. While making the turn, Lauletta nearly hit the officer directing traffic.
Shurmur said the QB's actions were "disappointing because especially with a quarterback you're looking at decision-making in all facets of the player's life."
The coach added there weren't previous instances of Lauletta being late to practice, but added: "The way I look at it, quarterbacks should be early."
Lauletta, the Giants' fourth-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft, apologized Tuesday for the incident.
"The incident that happened last week is a terrible representation of who I am and what I stand for," he said. "... Right is right and wrong is wrong. My parents raised me better than that. It's tough, you just got to move forward from it and take it as a lesson."
"I have to deal with the consequences, and that's that," he added.
Lauletta faces a slew of charges including eluding police, obstructing administration of law and resisting arrest, reckless driving, disregarding an officer's directions, improper turn in marked traffic lane, and failure to remain in a marked lane.
Despite not getting suspended, Lauletta still won't get the start coming out of the team's bye week.
Shurmur said he spoke to Eli Manning to tell him he will start next Monday in San Francisco, adding that he needs to play better, per SNY's Ralph Vacchiano.