Anders Lee scored two goals and the Islanders overcame a late rally by the Lightning to secure a 5-3 win on Saturday night. >> Box score
- 0:51 NYI Andrew Ladd; Assists: John Tavares, Joshua Ho-Sang
- 10:25 NYI Anders Lee; Assists: John Tavares, Josh Bailey
- 7:09 NYI Brock Nelson; Assists: Jason Chimera, Adam Pelech
- 1:05 NYI Anders Lee (Power Play); Assists: Josh Bailey, Mathew Barzal
- 3:13 TB Yanni Gourde; Assists: Brayden Point, Slater Koekkoek
- 3:26 TB Ondrej Palat; Assists: Brayden Point, Andrei Vasilevskiy
- 16:24 TB Yanni Gourde; Assists: Ondrej Palat, Dan Girardi
- 19:38 NYI John Tavares (ENG); Assists: Casey Cizikas, Josh Bailey
Andy Graziano, SNY.TV Twitter
The Islanders have now beaten the two best teams in hockey in the past week. On the road. After handling the Blues last week, they jumped out to another big lead in this one, 4-0, before withstanding a barrage from a team who had lost only once in regulation time in their last 17 games coming into tonight.
John Tavares led the way with two beautiful helpers in the first period before notching his 14th into an empty net to seal a huge win. Josh Bailey played another strong game in a setup role, collecting three assists and continuing to lead the team in scoring. And who can forget Anders Lee, given praise before the game by Jon Cooper, using his big frame to position himself perfectly in front for two goals.
Thomas Greiss was spectacular in the face of a 14-shot, 27-attempt third period and ended the night with 36 saves, taking further command of the number one goaltending slot over Jaroslav Halak, who 'should' be the starter tomorrow night in Carolina against the Hurricanes.
A true gut check win for New York, who continue to hang with the best of a competitive Metropolitan division.
The Islanders will trave tl face the Carolina Hurricanes on Sunday at 5 p.m.