Josh Bailey scored for the second time in three games, but it was not nearly enough to overcome a barrage of goals from the Colorado Avalanche in a 6-1 Islanders loss on Sunday night at the Pepsi Center. The Avalanche rode four second period goals, including two power play goals by Gabriel Landeskog, to an easy victory. >> Box score
- 9:31 COL Patrik Nemeth; Assists: Sven Andrighetto, Alexander Kerfoot
- 5:25 COL Matt Nieto; Assists: Blake Comeau, Carl Soderberg
- 12:30 COL Carl Soderberg; Assists: Colin Wilson, Erik Johnson
- 16:35 COL Gabriel Landeskog (PPG); Assists: Nathan Mackinnon, Samuel Girard
- 18:24 COL Gabriel Landeskog (PPG); Assists: Nathan Mackinnon, Samuel Girard
- 12:24 NYI Josh Bailey; Assists: Scott Mayfield, Brock Nelson
- 13:04 COL Erik Johnson; Assists: Gabriel Landeskog, Nathan Mackinnon
The Islanders return home to play the Boston Bruins at the Barclays Center on Tuesday night at 7 p.m.
Andy Graziano, SNY.TV Twitter
The Islanders end 2017 on a down note, getting smoked in Colorado by the Avalanche. They now face a long flight across the country back home on New Year's with a 5-8-2 December record that leaves them 20-15-4 on the season, 56% of possible points. That is on the outside fringe of a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
Jaroslav Halak was left out to dry this evening, as the New York defense, already without Johnny Boychuk and Calvin de Haan, allowed 48 shots and 77 attempts, giving up six goals, two to Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog.
The Islanders vaunted first line got worked, with captain John Tavares finishing at a 5v5 Corsi of a team worst -14, Anders Lee -12 and Bailey, who scored the only Islanders goal to extend his point streak to 11 games, at -11. Sebastian Aho did not look out of place on the offensive end, showing a solid transition game, but predictably, likely felt like he was thrown into a burning dumpster fire that was the team defensive effort.
As the calendar turns, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and the Devils await before the league mandated five-day bye occurs leading into a grudge match against the New York Rangers. In other words, things don't get any easier for a team having loads of trouble keeping pucks out of their own net.
Happy New Year to you and your families. Wishing you health and happiness in 2018.