The Islanders are in a big hole after the Hurricanes handled them in a 5-2 loss on the road to give themselves a 3-0 lead in this Second Round series. >> Box Score
Five takeaways from Wednesday's game...
1) It was the Hurricanes getting on the board first, as Teuvo Teravainen buried it right next to the goal line. But Devon Toews quickly made it a tie game at one apiece with a power play goal. It was the rookie's first Stanley Cup Playoff goal of his career.
2) In the second period, the same thing happened with the Hurricanes scoring first and Islanders calling their shot. Justin Faulk sprinted out of the penalty box and caught a breakaway on Robin Lehner that he potted back-handed. Josh Bailey, though, finished on a hard-fought forecheck that was assisted by Tom Kuhnhackl on a between-the-legs pass.
3) The Islanders had their chances in the third period, but Justin Williams' goal to make it 3-2 at 10:15 ultimately finished them off. Two empty netters for Carolina secured the win.
4) Lehner still totaled 33 saves on the night, while Hurricanes goaltender Curtis McElhinney had 28 saves.
5) It is an obvious must-win for the Islanders in this series, as a loss on Friday night will be the end to their season.
The Isles can keep this series alive with a win on Friday night at 7 p.m. on the road against the Canes.