The Islanders are reportedly close to a deal which will see them play at Nassau Coliseum on a limited basis as the team awaits the opening of their new arena at Belmont Park, per Newsday's Jim Baumbach.
The deal would consist of the Isles splitting time at the Coliseum and Barclays Center, but how the regular-season games will be structured is unknown.
In the midset of negotiations with Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment, who run both arenas, Islanders co-owner Jon Ledecky said he was "confident" the team would return to the Coliseum at some capacity.
"If you think about the Coliseum, it doesn't have the amenities and the things that a third generation arena will have," he told WFAN. "For example, in that great preseason game, there were still unbelievably long lines for the bathrooms. Concessions are still an issue."
Along with Ledecky, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman, Brooklyn Sports & Entertainment CEO Brett Yormark, and Nassau County officials among others toured the Coliseum to see if it could host the Islanders earlier this month. The venue received a $165 million renovation before its reopening in March of last year, but there are still issues to be worked out as Ledecky discussed.
The Islanders will have until Jan. 30 to decide to fully opt-out of their 25-year lease with Barclays Center. They will need a interim venue for three seasons as the Belmont Park arena is projected to be ready for the 2021-22 season.
Since the franchise's inception in 1972, the Islanders played at the Coliseum all the way up to 2015 when they moved to Brooklyn.