Thanks to a Patrice Bergeron hat trick, the Islanders fall to the Bruins 5-2. Jordan Eberle and John Tavares scored the two goals for the Isles while the Bruins have extended their point streak to 15 games. << Box score
- 7:35 NYI Jordan Eberle; Assist: Mathew Barzal
- 13:41 BOS Patrice Bergeron; Assists: Brad Marchand, David Pastrnak
- 9:47 BOS Ryan Spooner; Assist: David Krejci
- 13:49 BOS Patrice Bergeron (PPG); Assists: Torey Krug, Ryan Spooner
- 3:45 BOS Patrice Bergeron; Assists: Brad Marchand, Charlie McAvoy
- 14:24 NYI John Tavares; Assist: Josh Bailey14:24 NYI John Tavares; Assist: Josh Bailey
- 18:59 BOS Brad Marchand (Empty Net Goal); Assists: David Krejci, Riley Nash
Bailey ➡ Tavares ➡ 🚨! 4-2 with 5:36 to go. #BOSvsNYI- New York Islanders (@NYIslanders) January 19, 2018
What's next: Islanders travel to Chicago to face the Blackhawks on Saturday at 8:30 p.m.
What is there even left to say? Seriously, I don't even know where to start.
This is the same damn game this team has played for the better part of two months: Awful in their own zone, completely outplayed possession-wise, bad turnovers that led to chances for their opponents. And just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, Halak suddenly regressed (that second goal was an embarrassment). So they lost. Again. Shocking.
But why would it change? The personnel hasn't gotten a boost. They passed on a guy like Jussi Jokinen for reasons passing understanding, especially considering how banged up they are and how brutal the bottom six has been all season. Right now, you're running out two of the best lines in hockey, and a bunch of replacement level players. What does that get you? Not playoff hockey, that's for sure.
Look, I've been pretty understanding of the direction this organization has gone in. I thought Garth was underrated as a general manager for a good chunk of his tenure. But as I watch another season devolve into an utter mess, one that we have been told that missing the playoffs is not an acceptable outcome, it feels borderline negligent that he's just sitting on his hands as this plays itself out.
Prove me wrong, Garth. Go out and get these guys some help. Please.