Lars Eller's second goal of the night was the decisive one to help the Capitals beat the Islanders, 4-3, on Thursday at Capital One Arena. >> Box Score
- 5:55 WAS Taylor Chorney; Assists: Chandler Stephenson, Lars Eller
- 13:01 NYI John Tavares (Power Play); Assists: Anders Lee, Josh Bailey
- 16:19 WAS Lars Eller; Assists: Chandler Stephenson, Madison Bowey
- 16:18 NYR Anders Lee (Power Play); Assists: Josh Bailey, Mathew Barzal
- 16:30 WAS Alex Chiasson; Assists: John Carlson, Jay Beagle
- 7:00 NYI Anders Lee; Assists: Thomas Hickey, John Tavares
- 16:39 WAS Lars Eller; Assists: Tom Wilson, John Carlson
Andy Graziano, SNY.TV Twitter
Tough loss for the Islanders, who play a real solid road game yet still drop two points to the struggling Washington Capitals, thanks to some questionable goaltending. The Islanders dominated the home team, out-attempting them 72-48 (58-38 5v5) and scoring another two times on the power play.
Jaroslav Halak, making his fourth straight start, gave up some questionable goals in this one, specifically late, as Alex Chaisson and Lars Eller beat him with shots that simply have to be stopped at this level. Yes, the Thomas Hickey step-up on Tom Wilson on the game winner might not have been the best decision, but it's at that very moment you need a big stop. New York didn't get it tonight.
New York dropped 32 of 52 faceoffs and Jason Chimera continued to struggle mightily and could be headed for a press box trip shortly in favor of Alan Quine, who is finishing up a rehab stint in Bridgeport and currently on the active roster.
The first line of John Tavares, Anders Lee and Josh Bailey continued their torrid pace, with Lee notching twice with an assist, the captain picking up his 10th goal in his last six games and Bailey chipping in with two more assists, extending his point streak to a league high eight games.
What's Next: The Islanders will host the Avalanche on Sunday at 6 p.m.