Now Commenting On:

The Sound Tigers kicked off their season with back-to-back games this weekend; they hosted Wilkes-Barre on Saturday night and just finished up another home match against Norfolk this afternoon. They split the weekend, surrendering a 2-1 lead last night to lose 5-2 and winning 4-3 in a shootout today.Ryan Strome earned three assists on the weekend. He setup Anders Lee for a pretty one-timer on Saturday night, and notched two more today on Andrey Pedan and Joey Diamond's goals. He seems to be right at home in the American League, and Corey Pronman thinks about as much on twitter: probably should have had a goal, too. He had a nice toe-drag on the power play in this afternoon's third period but the shot was stoned by John Gibson.Anders Nilsson got the back-to-back work for Bridgeport, stopping a combined 52 of 60 shots that he faced for a .866 save percentage (warning: small sample size).On Saturday night, the Sound Tigers jumped out to a 2-1 lead at home against Wilkes-Barre on goals from Lee and Kirill Kabanov, the latter being a nice one-timer from Dallas Jackson. Brett Gallant did his face punchin' thing in the first period, and a late goal with three seconds left in the second frame would send the teams to the third tied at 2-2.In the third, the Sound Tigers had a breakdown around midway through as they surrendered three goals in 3:17, including two in 11 seconds. Wilkes-Barre scored three unanswered to win 5-2. There was a double fight at the end of the third period too, as Chris Bruton and John Persson both squared off.  Each held their own against their opponents.Today, Bridgeport and Norfolk combined for a wild second period that featured five goals and a fight. Joey Diamond, Andrey Pedan and Riley Wetmore all scored for Bridgeport to take a 3-2 lead into the second break. Joe Finley took exception to a hit on Ryan Strome and danced with Zach Stortini at the second intermission horn, for the pair's second bout of the afternoon.In the third, Norfolk would add the tying goal on a botched play from Anders Nilsson. The Sound Tigers netminder went behind his net to retrieve the puck and lost it to a Norfolk player. A mad scramble ensued as the Sound Tiger defenders got back, but Norfolk's Devante Smith-Pelly came up with the puck and finished over a sprawling Nilsson for the tying goal, which also came shorthanded for Norfolk. The Sound Tigers would win in the shootout, with John Persson scoring the decisive goal.
Tags: Sound Tigers, Prospects , Kevin Schultz
Login with Facebook Login with Twitter Login with