The Islanders play the Capitals on Tuesday at 7 p.m.
According to STATS...
- The Capitals have won their first three meetings with the Islanders this year and are looking for their first season sweep against New York since 2010-11 (4-0-0).
- Washington was shut out at Arizona Saturday, 3-0. It was the second time the Capitals have been shut out in their last five games after going 59 straight games without being shut out from November to March.
- Alex Ovechkin leads the NHL with 45 goals in 2015-16, which would be his sixth career season leading the league in goals. Prior to his arrival in Washington, Peter Bondra was the only player to ever lead the NHL in scoring (1994-95 and 1997-98).
- New York finished its four-game homestand with a 5-2 victory against Tampa Bay Monday. It was the most goals scored by the Islanders since March 6 (six at NYR).
- John Tavares scored his 30th goal of the season Monday against the Lightning. It is his third career season with at least 30 goals, only four players in Islanders history have more such seasons.
- Kyle Okposo recorded two assists and two penalty minutes (roughing) yesterday against the Lightning. He is one of ten NHL players with at least 60 points and 50 penalty minutes this season and his 51 penalty minutes match a career high (also 2013-14).