Cory Mazzoni: 6 IP, 5 H, 3 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 8 K. After beginning his professional tenure as an extreme low-strikeout rate guy, Mazzoni is missing bats all of a sudden. In his last four starts, over 24.2 innings, he's fanned 34 and walked six while yielding 15 runs, nine earned on 22 hits. That's a 3.28 ERA, a 33% strikeout rate and a 5.8% walk rate. That's all good stuff. In his first five starts sandwiched around a DL trip, he had a 4.68 ERA and a 18% strikeout rate.
LHP Jack Leathersich gave up the tie-breaking three-run homerun in the bottom of the eighth. His line: 1.1 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 2 K, 1 HR, 1 HBP. Leathersich's ERA rose to 4.46 and his WHIP to 1.43 in 36.1 innings in advanced-A.
Martinez started the season out with a bang, going 4-5 with a double and a run scored, since then he is 1-11 with two walks and four strikeouts in 3 games.
Over at ESPNNY, left-hander Jimmy Fuller is reportedly out for the season due to shoulder surgery.? Fuller split time between Savannah and St. Lucie last season, going a combined 11-5, 2.19 ERA.? Fuller struck out 124 in 131 1/3 innings, while holding opponents to a .238 batting average.
Tags: Fernando Martinez, James Fuller
Tags: James Fuller, Lucas Duda, Toby Hyde
- LHP Jimmy Fuller (1-2, 5.14) put together his best start in three tries in the Florida State League, holding the Cardinals to one run on four hits in five innings.? He fanned seven and walked two.
- Scott Moviel gave up just one hit and hit a batter in four shutout innings of relief with seven strikeouts and no walks.
- RHP Dillon Gee, Bisons: With the Mets struggles here's a guy to keep your eye on. After being shut down with a shoulder problem in May of last year, Dillon has come out of the gate on fire. He's now 2-0 and?has yet to allow a run in 13 innings (5 H/1 BB).
- 1B Ike Davis, Bisons: Speculation on a callup continues to swirl as Ike continues to hit. The top prospect has collected a hit in all but one of the Bisons' games. Overall he's hitting .364/.500/.636 (12-for-33, 2 HR, 4 RBI, 9 BB).
- OF Nick Evans, B-Mets: He's hitting at a .372 clip (16-for-43) with 3 homers and 10 RBI to start the year. In the first two games against New Hampshire last weekend Evans went 5-for-10 with a homer, 3 RBI, and scored 4 runs.
- LHP James Fuller, Savannah: The left-hander turned in his second solid start of the season last Wednesday when he gave up just one run on four hits in eight innings. He didn't recieve much support, as the Gnats fell to Augusta 1-0. Fuller has allowed 1 ER in his 14 IP this year.
- RHP Manuel Alvarez, St. Lucie: Although old for the FSL at 25, the right-hander has been impressive as the closer for St. Lucie. He's converted all four opportunities, has yet to allow a run, and struck out 7 in his 6.2 innings.
Tags: Dillon Gee, Ike Davis, James Fuller, Notes
ALL STATS IN THE TABLES ARE CURRENT AS OF JULY 1, 2009!!!