After an offseason full of drama, the Oakland Raiders announced Saturday that they released wide receiver Antonio Brown from their roster, voiding roughly $29 million in guaranteed money along the way and putting the 10th-year pro on the open market.
Now, the prolific wide receiver has already found a new home in the AFC East, reportedly joining the Patriots on a one-year deal worth up to $15 million, according to NFL Netowrk's Ian Rapoport.
A league source told Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk that the Patriots are "a longshot, but not an impossibility" to take a low-risk flyer on Brown, and it appears that the team felt Brown was worth a chance.
"I bet he does," an NFL coach told Florio in a text message when asked if Patriots head coach Bill Belichick would pursue Brown.
Neither of New York's teams appeared to have interest in the 31-year-old Brown -- "No" and "Hell no," as SNY's Ralph Vacchiano put the possibility that the Jets or Giants would pursue the disgruntled receiver.
And the Patriots have been here before, giving second chances to star wide receivers such as Randy Moss and Josh Gordon in the past.
Both receivers have gotten their careers back on track -- Moss had a reenergized stretch in 2007-09, including a historic 2007 season with 23 touchdowns, while Gordon was productive last year with 40 receptions for 720 yards and three touchdowns in 10 games -- when they arrived to New England under Belichick and quarterback Tom Brady.
Earlier in the day, Brown's agent, Drew Rosenhaus, told Adam Schefter of ESPN: "Now that Antonio is a free agent, we are focused on the future and I will immediately work on signing him to a new team. Antonio is looking forward to a new beginning."