As badly as they've played so far, the Jets could easily have a winning record right now, as they completely blew winnable games against the Bengals and this past Sunday against the Dolphins.
All season, the Jets seem to play well about 90 percent of the time, but the other 10 percent is so bad that it's impossible to overcome. This can create frustration among players who are doing their job most of the time, but then lead to them letting their own standards slip.
This pattern was never more apparent than yesterday.
Nov 6, 2016; Miami Gardens, FL, USA; Miami Dolphins running back Kenyan Drake (32) runs for a touchdown from a kickoff return during the second half past New York Jets wide receiver Charone Peake (17) at Hard Rock Stadium. The Dolphins won 27-23. Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports
Injuries at inside linebacker and on the offensive line had a massive impact against the Dolphins. However, after putting themselves in a 1-5 hole, their margin for error is gone and every winnable game becomes a "must-win," even when playing shorthanded.
We've seen this type of season a few times from the Jets during the last decade or so.
In 2005, 2007 and 2014, the Jets were on the wrong end of some early season games and could have been right in the mix. Those seasons gradually spiraled out of control as they fell out of contention. Each time, the Jets ended up 4-12, which could be on the brink of happening again.
It's amazing to think that a few bounces here and there would have them right in the mix, despite having dramatically underperformed, But, it's difficult to imagine this group pulling together and figuring things out from this position. With five of their remaining seven games at home, things could get really ugly.
Nov 6, 2016; Miami Gardens, FL, USA; New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis (24) reacts during the second half against Miami Dolphins at Hard Rock Stadium. The Dolphins won 27-23. Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports
Looking ahead, the Jets have a chance to be 4-6 at the bye week if they can win against the Rams next week. They've made the postseason from 4-6 as recently as 2009, but a revival doesn't look likely, especially since the Rams will have a huge advantage with their defensive line.
With the bye week just around the corner, big changes could be on the way, both schematically and with personnel. If the Jets drop to 3-7, changes could even end up spreading to coaching personnel.
In this week's full BGA, I analyze Week 9 performances by Todd Bowles, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty, Brandon Marshall, Ben Ijalana, Matt Forte, Bilal Powell, Jalin Marshall and the Wide Receivers, Leonard Willians, Julian Stanford and the Special Teams, among others, all of which you can read by clicking here.