Source says Jets put in conditional claims on T Steven Baker, LB DJ Bryant, RB Jonathan grimes, OL Hayworth Hicks + WR Jermaine Kearse ... That means Jets had some interest in those guys but they were crossed off their list when higher priority claims filled.
While the Jets are obviously filling out the roster with what they consider to be the most talented players or those that fit the best, it is still interesting to see the other players they perhaps would have taken if any of the guys they ended with hadn't cleared waivers.
After the jump, a little information about each of these:
- Baker is an undrafted rookie out of East Carolina. At the time of his Pro Day he was 6-8 but only 301 pounds, so clearly he would need to put on weight to play at the NFL level, but obviously has the frame to do that. He put up some impressive numbers at his Pro Day, so he's obviously athletic. Baker played for the Colts in preseason.
- Bryant was also undrafted and was a playmaker on the defense (and special teams) at Bassett's old school, James Madison. He's built like a 3-4 OLB. After getting picked up by the Texans, he apparently had a good camp and preseason, picking up three sacks.
- Grimes was an undrafted free agent who was also with the Texans, where of course they have one of the deepest stables of running backs in the NFL. He led the nation in all-purpose yards at William and Mary and runs a 4.53 forty, but didn't make the Texans roster despite rushing for 170 yards and a touchdown (at 4.6 yards per carry) in preseason.
- Hicks played guard at Iowa State, but went undrafted. He's a 330 pounder and played guard with the Colts during the preseason, where reports were generally favorable about how well he played.
- Kearse was undrafted out of Washington and got picked up by Seattle, where his chances of making the roster took a major hit when the Seahawks signed Braylon Edwards and Terrell Owens and also when he failed his physical on the first day of camp. After a lousy performance at the combine, he improved on most of his numbers at UW's pro day, where he ran a 4.43. He caught one pass in preseason, for 37 yards.