Former Jets and current Patriots linebacker David Harris said he felt "blindsided" after New York released him in early June when the two sides failed to agree to a pay cut.
"They kind of blindsided me with the whole thing, being so late in the offseason, a week before minicamp," Harris said on SiriusXM NFL Radio, according to ESPN's Mike Reiss. "It came out of left field. It was more about the disrespect of the whole situation than anything else."
Harris had been a Jet for 10 years ever since they drafted him in the second round in 2007. He played 154 games and recorded 1,088 combined tackles, 35.5 sacks, 11 forced fumbles and six interceptions, helping lead the team to two AFC Championship games in his tenure.
But the Jets "abruptly" released the 33-year-old Harris in June when there was a "breakdown" in talks about reducing his $6.5 million salary that was due this season, a move that also "shocked" former teammate Sheldon Richardson.
"It wasn't an easy time," head coach Todd Bowles said in June. "David has been a Jet all his life. He was born and bled green. Obviously he's a guy that was very well liked in the building by management, coaches and players alike."
Two weeks later, Harris signed a two-year, $6.75 million deal with New England, and he said Monday he is glad to be a member of the Patriots.
"The Jets made their decision," Harris said on Monday. "I had to sit back and be patient and evaluate some things. A couple teams were inquiring about me, but then once the Patriots came into the picture, it was pretty much a done deal as soon as I found out they were interested in me."