Jets linebacker David Harris was surprised when the Jets selected safeties in the first two rounds of last month's NFL Draft.
"It's very odd to have two safeties get drafted in the first and second rounds," Harris said to Connor Hughes of NJ.com. "All you can do is trust [the front office's] decision and try to move on."
New York selected LSU's Jamal Adams at No. 6, and 33 picks later, took Florida's Marcus Maye. It marked the first time in franchise history the Jets selected two safeties, and also defensive backs, with its first two picks.
While he expected the team to draft one safety, Harris said management "surprised everybody" by doubling down and selecting two.
Calvin Pryor and Marcus Gilchrist were the Jets' starters at safety for most of last season. Gilchrist was released a few weeks ago, while New York declined Pryor's fifth-year option earlier this month after trying to trade him during the draft.
Todd Bowles hinted that both rookies could be starting for the Jets come Week One.
"It's feasible, yes," coach Todd Bowles said during rookie minicamp. "They're good football players. Obviously, if they learn it and they earn it, they'll start at safety... I can't recall when, but I've seen a bunch of rookies play."
While Maye is still recovering from a broken arm suffered at Florida, Adams was present at New York's organized offseason workouts this week, where veterans and rookies got together for the first time.
Harris came away impressed after his initial meeting with Adams.
"Very professional," Harris said. "Just the way he carries himself. I noticed that right away [Monday]. The way he goes about himself. He works hard. You can see him. He's not quiet, but he gets it. He gets it. He gets it."
The Jets begin organized team activities on May 23.