Pro Bowl DT Ndamukong Suh was one of the biggest names on the free agent market this past offseason after the Dolphins decided to release him. The Jets were among the top destinations to land the then-31-year-old, and they reportedly had the biggest offer on the table for his services.
However, Jets owner Christopher Johnson stepped in, and Suh's offer was quickly rescinded which came as a surprise to many. Johnson said that Suh "didn't seem to be in keeping with our longer-term plan," while GM Mike Maccagnan said Suh simply missed the deadline on deciding whether or not to accept.
Suh eventually chose to sign with the Rams, and it was the right move as he will be playing in his first Super Bowl this Sunday. But Suh admitted he was on the verge of wearing green and white this season.
"It was close," he told The Post's Paul Schwartz and Brian Costello during Super Bowl Media Day on Monday. "I wanted to take a visit there. I had some good conversation with [former head coach] Todd Bowles and the defensive staff, but some things fell apart and I kind of went from there."
As SNY's Ralph Vacchiano pointed out at the time, Suh didn't fit the Jets' mandate of building a younger team. However, things could change this offseason when Suh hits the market yet again. He only signed a one-year, $14 million deal with Los Angeles.
The Jets will head into the offfseason looking to increase their pass rush next season, and though defensive ends may be viewed as a higher priority, new defensive coordinator Gregg Williams could also use some help up the middle. Suh produced 4.5 sacks for the second consecutive season with 59 combined tackles and four tackles for a loss this season.
Suh is still producing on the field, though, and the Jets may take a second crack at luring him to East Rutherford if they decide to change their mindset from last year.