Knicks president Steve Mills said the plan is for Carmelo Anthony to be with the team for the foreseeable future.
"Our plan is that Carmelo will be with us on Monday (at media day). ... and be with us on Tuesday when we start practice," Mills said on Friday.
GM Scott Perry followed by qualifying Anthony's Knicks future with an "if" when asked what Anthony's role would be if he isn't traded.
"If he's back here with the New York Knicks, we expect him to be the professional that he's always exemplified throughout his career, and move forward with him."
Perry added that when he visited with Anthony this summer he told him there was a chance he would be back, noting that the Knicks have omitted Anthony from their team correspondence because they're focused on the "long-term plan."
Prior to former president Phil Jackson leaving the team, the Knicks attempted to trade Anthony -- first during the season and again earlier this offseason.
They reevaluated the situation after Mills replaced Jackson and Perry was hired as GM, but have continued dialogue with other teams regarding a potential trade.
Anthony is reportedly only interested in waiving his no-trade clause to go to the Houston Rockets, and the two teams are not close on a deal, ESPN's Ian Begley reported earlier this month.
Anthony has said during the offseason he wanted to be traded and the only team he would waive his no-trade clause would be to
Several Knicks teammates, including Kristaps Porzingis and Tim Hardaway Jr., have said they want Anthony to remain a Knick for the 2017-18 season, and Anthony was recorded practicing with his teammates, including rookie Frank Ntilikina, over the summer.
The 33-year-old Anthony, who averaged 22.4 points, 5.9 rebounds and 2.9 assists in 74 games last season, said in August he had "great dialogue" with new Knicks GM Scott Perry and said this offseason has been an "emotional rollercoaster" for him.
Anthony is owed $26.2 million this season and $27.9 million in 2018-19, after which he is eligible for free agency.
Jake Brown | Twitter |
There's no reason for the Knicks to commit to Carmelo Anthony's future. Everyone knows the rumors, and Anthony has made it clear he wants to be traded. Scott Perry and Steve Mills would be doing everyone a disservice if they acted like it's a definite that he will be here. And with media day and training camp getting underway next week, they know that now is the time trade talks are ramping up.
Even if Anthony is on the team next week, it seems highly likely that he won't be here all season. His stock can rise with a couple of months of playing All-Star caliber basketball, which would make it easier for the Knicks to find a suitor and get what they want. Perry and Mills are focused on the youth on this team and building for a brighter future, and Anthony isn't part of those plans.
With the recent rumors that Anthony might waive his no-trade clause to go to the Blazers, that would definitely make a deal more likely. A deal surrounding Moe Harkless and potentially Meyers Leonard makes sense for the Knicks versus a deal with the Rockets at this point. If Anthony is willing to waive his no trade clause to go to Portland, I fully expect a deal to get done before the season begins.