Carmelo Anthony will not be bought out and "could easily be a part of" the Knicks next year, team president Steve Mills said on Monday.
Mills said the team wanted to "slow down and regroup" regarding a potential trade of Anthony after hiring new GM Scott Perry last week.
"We've been in contact with his reps and other teams," Mills said, adding that "If there's an opportunity that works for Melo and works for us" the team will consider trading him.
Anthony expects the Knicks to continue trade discussions and is holding out hope that he will be traded to the Houston Rockets, according to Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN.
The Knicks have reportedly only decided to pause the talks for a brief period of time. The new front office wants to meet with Anthony, who was "eager" to waive his no-trade clause, according to ESPN.
Wojnarowski reports Anthony will meet with Mills and Perry over the next few days to discuss the situation. The Knicks and Rockets also expected the Blazers to be a third team in a possible trade, but Portland only wants to be involved if it can land the All-Star forward.
The veteran forward was "dismayed" that the team paused trade talks involving him, reported Frank Isola of the NY Daily News, who said Anthony has been preparing for the trade for two weeks.
The Knicks put the talks with the Rockets and Cavaliers on hold on Thursday, according to ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski and Ramona Shelburne.
Last Wednesday afternoon, Isola reported that a deal was nearing completion that would send Anthony to the Rockets. The potential trade was said to be "at the two yard line," according to Isola, who said the Knicks did not want to take any veteran players with long-term contracts back as part of a deal.
Isola reported that Ryan Anderson was a big reason why a potential deal has not been completed. The power forward is due $61.1 million over three seasons, so the Knicks and Rockets are looking for a third and potentially fourth team to make the trade happen.
The Pelicans, with whom Anderson spent four seasons (one as the Hornets), had expressed interest in being one of the teams involved, according to New York Post's Marc Berman, who said Knicks acting president Steve Mills was so preoccupied with dealing Anthony that he's "unable to focus fully" on adding a veteran point guard.