Alderson says the more likely way to improve the team will be via trade as he believes they definitely have trade chips.
"The clubs system is in a much better position today then it was two or three years ago."
In addition, Alderson said:
- He does not rule out adding left handed power hitter that could cost upwards of $12 million, although he does not know what his budget will be since he has not yet had those conversations.
- Lucas Duda is still in the clubs plans and may see some time in left field.
- He believes Jason Bay still has some value. He will not just wave him goodbye, though he didn't sign him so he is not "totally invested" in him.
- Bay may still be a viable asset in a Left Field platoon with Lucas Duda.
- He is interested in seeing how Matt Harvey develops, as well as, Jordany Valdespin, Duda, and some September call-ups.
- They need to have enough depth that they do not count on Zack Wheeler as being a part of the rotation to start next season.
- He believes his team has strengthened the scouting and "have been patient in light of some of the overall issues we have faced." It may appear to be passive, but it is more of "knowing when to hold 'em" approach.
To listen to Alderson’s full interview with Francesa, go here on WFAN.com.