Mets outfielder Brandon Nimmo will be set back a few more days after bothering his hamstring again on Friday during running drills, he told reporters Saturday.
Nimmo ran at 90 percent on Thursday and said he could pinch potentially play the field on Saturday, reported Kristie Ackert of the NY Daily News.
Nimmo had the hamstring examined early Wednesday, at which point it was determined the injury was not as bad as initially diagnosed.
Nimmo injured the hamstring this past weekend playing for Italy in the World Baseball Classic. The team's manager, Marco Mazzieri, initially told the NY Times that it was believed to be a Grade 1 strain, which would likely force Nimmo to be sidelined for at least a few weeks.
"The saving grace was, when I felt it, I shut it down, so now it feels good," he explained to reporters in front of his locker in St. Lucie. "I'll be out at stretch today, and we're gonna test it."
Nimmo celebrates after hitting a home run against Venezuela during a World Baseball Classic game in Guadalajara, Mexico, Saturday, March 11, 2017. (AP Photo/Luis Gutierrez)
The initial news was very disappointing to Terry Collins, who said Nimmo had been making a big impact on the team's decisions regarding the 25-man roster.
"I wanted to get him in that lineup some more," Collins added.
Nimmo, 23, was drafted in the first round of the 2011 draft.
In two games with Team Italy in the WBC, he went 2-for-10 with one home run and two RBI.
He is currently considered the organization's fifth-best prospect, despite hitting .274 with one home run and six RBI in 32 games with the Mets last season.