- Brooklyn starts the NYP League Championship Series in Tri-City on Saturday night. The Cyclones host games two and three on Sunday at 5 pm and Monday at 7 pm.
- Gnats RHP Collin McHugh (and the scheduled game three starter if the series gets that far) writes about the mood in the Savannah clubhouse heading into the playoffs:
"Hell boys, we're here anyway. We might as well win it!"- Funny thing about the Gnats lineup in game one in Greenville: Armando Rodriguez, who started game one in both halves, was the starting pitcher. Of the nine guys playing in the field behind him, ZERO were on the Savannah roster on the day the Gnats clinched their playoff berth on the final day of the first half on June 20.
- The Gnats hope to have Cesar Puello back in the lineup tonight. Puello, who has not played since August 14, hit .346/.424/.430 after the All-Star Break. That's tops in the SAL in batting average and number two in OBP in the half.
- Taylor Whitenton (8-9, 4.57) starts tonight for Savannah. In three starts from August 8-19, he was 3-0 with a 0.00 ERA in 17.1 IP with 24 strikeouts against 8 walks. He allowed just one unearned run in those three stars, all Gnats wins. In his final three starts, from August 25th on, he was 0-3 with an 11.92 ERA (15 ER/11.1 IP) with 13 strikeouts, 9 walks and 23 hits allowed.
One encouraging split: Whitenton has a 2.25 ERA at home where opponents have hit .212 against him. On the road, his ERA is 6.71 and opponents have hit .308.
- As always, listen to the Gnats on sandgnats.com.