Mets 3B David Wright, who terminated his rehab assignment on Monday, is not yet considering retirement, a source told Mike Puma of the NY Post.
Manager Terry Collins believes that Wright was dealing with discomfort before playing in rehab games, according to Puma.
Wright is scheduled to be examined in New York later this week.
He played three games for High-A St. Lucie in a rehab stint last week as he looked to return from a shoulder impingement that has kept him out since spring training.
"I continued to have shoulder pain," Wright said in a statement. "I decided to go to the doctor and get it checked out. Will make any decisions going forward after my appointment."
Wright, who is on the 60-day disabled list, had first been rehabbing in California due to the shoulder impingement he suffered during Spring Training. In May, the team stopped his throwing program after he suffered a setback.
Wright fielding ground balls during workouts in St. Lucie (Credit: Matthew Cerrone, MetsBlog.com)
The 34-year-old has been limited to 75 games over the past three seasons. He missed 124 games in 2015 due to lumbar spinal stenosis - a condition in his lower back that he will forever need to monitor. He also played in just 37 games last season due to a herniated disc in his upper spine, which led to corrective surgery and the current pain in his shoulder.
Wright said in early August, as well as after his most recent rehab game, that he believed he'd be able to play for the Mets this season, though Mets GM Sandy Alderson later told reporters that he is not 100 percent certain there's enough time for it to happen.
"I don't know how many answers he will have or we will have through the end of this season," he said, noting it's possible the Mets look to acquire a full-time third baseman for next season.