Former Mets ace Matt Harvey, who was back on the mound last Thursday as he continued to stay in game shape with the MLB season paused due to the coronavirus pandemic, recently opened up on what could be next for him.
The 31-year-old free agent, who tried out with the Blue Jays during the offseason, is hoping to find a landing spot.
"I hope somebody gives me a shot," Harvey told Dan Martin of the New York Post. "I feel like I have many more years in me."
During the 2015 season, Harvey returned from Tommy John surgery and blew past his innings limit while helping to guide the Mets to the World Series against the Royals. Since then, he has been struggling with injuries and ineffectiveness, with thoracic outlet syndrome and surgery for it being the biggest hurdle he has attempted to overcome.
After the Mets traded Harvey to the Reds in 2018, he had relative success there before signing a one-year deal with the Los Angeles Angels worth $11 million. He struggled badly with Los Angeles in 2019, with the team releasing him last July.
"I hope I get the opportunity," Harvey said regarding his hope to return to the majors. "I feel like I'm in high school again, where I have to showcase myself and start all over. I just want to put myself in position to be ready and if it doesn't work out, to know I put the effort in to make a comeback."
During his time with the Mets, there were a few situations where Harvey's off-the-field life mixed with his on-field one, including being suspended after showing up late to the ballpark.
Harvey was reflective about his time with the Mets in 2018 after moving on to the Reds, and says now that he has "grown up and matured" on and off the field.
"There are a lot of things I'd do differently, but I don't like to live with regret," he said.