Here is a roundup of today's relevant rumors from the meetings:
- The Red Sox have not yet discussed trading either Ryan Lavarnway or Jarrod Saltalamacchia (Boston Globe).
- The Rockies want to add a starting pitcher, and there could be a match with the Reds: The Rockies like RHP Homer Bailey and the Reds like OF Dexter Fowler (FOX Sports). However, the two teams are not talking about a deal (Cincinnati Enquirer)
- The Nationals are in on RHP Zack Greinke, but could look to trade Danny Espinosa or Michael Morse to the Rays for James Shields if they lose out on Greinke (NY Post).
- The Rangers also met with Greinke, and are hoping their ability to win in the short-term will be attractive to him (CBS Sports).
- The Giants are looking for a centerfielder, and are considering Angel Pagan, Michael Bourn, and Shane Victorino as options (CBS Sports).
- The Orioles are unlikely to sign free agent OF Josh Hamilton (CBS Sports).
- While Ichiro Suzuki is listening to offers from other teams, there is a strong belief he wants to return to the Yankees (CBS Sports).
- The Orioles could be interested in signing LHP John Lannan (Baltimore Sun).
- The Rays are expected to trade for outfield help, and James Shields, Wade Davis, and Jeremy Hellickson could be the most likely pitchers traded (TB Times).
- Many executives believe the Diamondbacks will eventually trade OF Justin Upton (ESPN).
- OF Nate Schierholtz, who was non-tendered by the Phillies on Friday, has received calls from nine teams so far (ESPN).
- While Josh Willingham is drawing trade interest, the Twins are not interested in trading him (ESPN).
It will be worth watching what happens with Greinke this week. The loser in those sweepstakes could turn to the trade market to fill their pitching needs, and the Mets have R.A. Dickey and Jon Niese, both pitchers who could be attractive as front-line options. Tom Verducci on MLB Network said tonight he expects a lot of trades to go down this week (presumably due to the inflated free agent market), so things are shaping up to be very busy over the next four days.