The Indians plan to move Jason Kipnis back to second base in 2018, according to Paul Hoynes of Cleveland Plain Dealer.
Kipnis had reportedly been on the trade block earlier this offseason and this report suggests he's back in the plans of Terry Francona and the Indians.
SNY contributor Andy Martino said Friday night on Baseball Night in New York on SNY that the Mets and Indians had agreed on a Kipnis trade earlier this offseason that fell apart.
Kipnis, 30, hit .232 with a .291 OBP and .414 slugging with 12 home runs in 90 games during 2017, while also dealing with injuries and transitioning to center field.
A hamstring injury landed Kipnis on the disabled list twice in 2017. Typically durable, he played in 141 games in 2015 and 156 games in 2016, during which he hit .275 with a .343 OBP and 23 combined home runs.
He will earn $13.5 million in 2018, $14.5 million in 2019 and has a $16.5 million team option for 2020 that can be bought out for $2.5 million.
In late December, MetsBlog's Matthew Cerrone said the Indians intend to compete for a World Series next season, so their goal isn't to trade Kipnis for no-name prospects to save can save money. Instead, though they considered freeing up second base for their top prospect and shed long-term salary, they still want to acquire a starting pitcher or reliever that will help them in 2018.