As far as the Mets' injured starters go, one seems ready to return and the other is very close.
Steven Matz spoke Thursday after throwing a 45-pitch bullpen session on Wednesday and said he feels great. During the bullpen session, Matz said he's ready to return and that he's "really happy."
"I threw a bullpen yesterday and I feel good today," Matz said, according to SNY's Steve Gelbs.
The Mets had Saturday's starting pitcher in Miami listed as TBA, but were waiting on Matz before making a decision. It now seems that Matz is likely to return and start on Saturday.
Jason Vargas, the other injured Mets starter, is making progress and will make a rehab start for Double-A Binghamton this weekend, manager Mickey Callaway said.
If all goes well, Vargas will likely be activated from the DL shortly after his rehab start.
Regarding who fills in for Vargas during this turn through the rotation, it seems likely to be Drew Gagnon, who has pitched exceptionally well out of the Mets' bullpen as of late and would be taking the spot of Wilmer Font -- who had been filling in over the last two starts.
The 28-year-old Gagnon has posted a 0.51 ERA and 0.90 WHIP with 14 strikeouts in 17.1 innings (three starts) for Triple-A Syracuse.