Mets OF Jay Bruce had a "pretty easy time" with the trade rumors during the offseason, he said Thursday in Port St. Lucie.
"I'm here until I'm not," Bruce explained, adding that he's been going through trade rumors for two years and didn't concern himself with them.
The Mets picked up Bruce's option after the season, but efforts to trade him failed. He was then told last month that the plan was for him to be the team's everyday right fielder.
Regarding the possibility of getting time at first base, Bruce said he hasn't been told anything yet but that if the Mets want him to, he'll "bust his ass" to make sure he does what he can at first base.
Bruce added that he played three games at first base for the Reds, last playing the position regularly in high school.
He wouldn't make excuses about his struggles after being traded to the Mets last season, but said what he was used to routine-wise was "flipped upside down."
Bruce hit .219 with a .294 OBP and .391 SLG with 8 HR and 19 RBI in 50 games for the Mets last season after being acquired from the Reds.
"This is an awesome team, an awesome clubhouse," Bruce concluded. "I had a blast here last year."
Bruce will earn $13 million this season, after which he can become a free agent.