However, Drew's agent, Scott Boras, is seeking an opt-out clause after the first year of the deal, which the Mets view as a deal breaker (Rubin, Feb. 6).
WFAN’s Mike Francesa said earlier this week that the Mets made an offer to Drew, but that was refuted by the New York Post, Daily News, WEEI in Boston and former-GM Jim Bowden, all citing sources aware of the situation.
“They’re fighting over the number of years,” Francesa said (WFAN, Feb. 4). “They already offered him the money. It’s a question of years."
It was reported late Tuesday that the Red Sox made a two-year offer to Drew (Bowden, Feb. 3). However, according to an on-air report from Peter Gammons, Boston is asking Drew to be a utility infielder, while he'd likely be the starting shortstop for the Mets or Twins.