Mets prospect Peter Alonso can sure hit the ball, but questions remain about his defense.
However, Brodie Van Wagenen does not anticipate the Mets potentially moving the first baseman to the outfield.
In an in-depth interview with SNY's Andy Martino on Tuesday, Van Wagenen explained that he sees the 23-year-old improving in the field.
"Yeah, I don't see Alonso being in a situation we push him to the outfield right now," Van Wagenen said. "He gets a lot of criticism for his defense, but from what I've seen and talking to him and talking to the coaches in our development system, he has made tremendous strides and he's got as good a work ethic as any player we have in the organization. So I fully expect him to continue to be a good above-average first baseman as time goes on."
Last year, the Mets experimented moving fellow prospect Dom Smith from first base to the outfield but explained it was out of necessity due to the injuries in the outfield at that time.
Meanwhile, Van Wagenen also addressed the Mets catching situation.
While he said he would not comment on tendering or non-tendering any player, he also would not commit to exploring outside options to bring in for the position.
"I wouldn't commit to that. Again, we have three catchers that have big-league time," Van Wagenen said. "I think (Travis) d'Arnaud coming back from injury, I think he's an exciting guy that, from our standpoint, we wouldn't necessarily limit him to have to only catch."