The Mets and Indians agreed on a trade earlier this offseason that would've brought 2B Jason Kipnis to New York, but the deal fell apart at the last minute, SNY contributor Andy Martino said last Friday on Baseball Night in New York.
Meanwhile, the Mets are reportedly bringing former-Indian (and Met) Jay Bruce back on a three-year deal worth $39 million, while the Indians currently plan to hold on to Kipnis, Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported last week.
However, with the Mets still seeking a second baseman, they could re-visit a trade for Kipnis, Chris Cotillo of SB Nation reported on Thursday.
Kipnis, 30, hit .232/291/.414 with 12 home runs in 90 games last season, while also dealing with hamstring issues and transitioning to center field.
Typically durable, Kipnis played in 141 games in 2015 and 156 games in 2016, during which he hit .275 with a .343 OBP and 32 combined home runs.
He will earn $13.5 million in 2018, $14.5 million in 2019, and has a $16.5 million team option for 2020 that can be bought out for $2.5 million.
The Mets and Indians were still talking about Kipnis through December. However, from what I've been told, neither team wanted to pick up the tab on his contract. The Mets wanted to save money to use for other offensive upgrades and Cleveland wanted to save money to use to acquire a relief pitcher. This is why swapping Kipnis for AJ Ramos made sense. However, I don't think Alderson was confident in his ability to replace Ramos ...