Yasmany Tomas and Rickie Weeks both homered twice and combined for 11 RBIs as the Diamondbacks defeated the Mets, 13-5, on Wednesday night at Chase Field.
In case you missed it…
- Jon Niese (8-7) allowed four runs on four hits and two walks with six strikeouts in 4 2/3 innings. He surrendered back-to-back homers to Weeks and Tomas in the fourth inning. It was his first start as a Met since he was reacquired on Aug. 1 for Antonio Bastardo.
- Erick Goeddel, Gabriel Ynoa and Josh Edgin combined to allow nine runs in two-plus innings of relief.
- Curtis Granderson hit his 19th home run of the season and Rene Rivera connected on a pinch-hit, two-run shot in the ninth. Kelly Johnson finished 3-for-5.
To read the full AP recap and box score, click here.
News and notes…
- The Mets dropped five of six to the last-place Diamondbacks and went 3-6 in their nine games against San Diego and Arizona. New York is now four games out of the second N.L. Wild Card spot behind St. Louis, Miami and Pittsburgh.
- Niese allowed four runs or more for the 11th time in 19 starts this year.
- Neil Walker missed a second straight game with lower back stiffness.
- Jay Bruce had an RBI double but is hitting .186 with two homers and six RBIs in 15 games with the Mets.
- Asdrubal Cabrera and Justin Ruggiano are expected to be activated off the 15-day disabled list prior to Thursday's series opener in San Francisco. Yoenis Cespedes will be activated on Friday.
The Mets (60-60) continue their 10-game trip as they begin a series with the Giants (66-54) at AT&T Park on Thursday night at 10:15 p.m. ET on SNY. Jacob deGrom (7-5, 2.30 ERA) will look to continue his stellar pitching of late. He will be opposed by San Francisco ace Madison Bumgarner (11-7, 2.11 ERA), who defeated New York back on May 1.