In what were the first definitive comments about a potential long-term extension for Jacob deGrom, Mets COO Jeff Wilpon said Wednesday that the team will be making an offer.
"We'd like to see him stay here long-term," Wilpon said during an appearance with Mike Francesa on WFAN. "I'm sure there will be an offer. How long-term that is, that's up to us to figure out."
Echoing Wilpon's comments, GM Brodie Van Wagenen -- also on with Francesa -- said "our goal will be to try to extend that relationship."
SNY's Andy Martino reported in November that signs pointed toward a long-term future with deGrom, who is under contract through the 2020 season.
DeGrom said during the All-Star break this past season that he "loved" playing for the Mets and was open to signing a long-term extension. And he reiterated those feelings earlier this offseason.
Van Wagenen at the GM Meetings that the Mets had not yet excanged proposals with deGrom on a potential extension, but maintaned that the Mets would "love to try to keep" deGrom long-term.
The 30-year-old deGrom -- who won his first Cy Young award in November -- is entering his second-to-last season of arbitration, where he is expected to earn $12.9 million, up from the $7.4 million he made in 2018.
While some might view the six-year, $140 million deal Patrick Corbin just signed as a potential benchmark for deGrom to surpass, any potential extension between the Mets and deGrom would be a different kind of animal.
Any extension at this point would have them buying out two years of arbitration while also giving deGrom the security of a long-term deal two years before it would otherwise happen. So, something in the five-year, $100 million range would be a fair offer.