Mets reliever Jenrry Mejia is back from his lifetime ban. And he was nearly perfect his first appearance since the ban was lifted, because of course he was.
Pitching for the DSL Mets on Thursday, Mejia allowed one hit in four scoreless innings while walking none and striking out three, according to Michael Mayer.
The Mets reliever, who was banned from baseball for life in February of 2016, had been granted his conditional reinstatement for the 2019 season back on July 6.
"Jenrry Mejia has abided by the terms set forth by Commissioner Manfred and we appreciate his regret and renewed commitment to comply moving forward," the Mets said in a statement. "We will evaluate his progress on the field and assess the situation and our options in the coming months."
Mejia was allowed to begin rehabbing with the Mets after the All-Star break.
"I've had a long, difficult time away from the game to contemplate the mistakes I've made both with regard to my positive drug tests and also the false allegations I made about Major League Baseball's investigation into my testing history," Mejia said in a statement after being reinstated. "Baseball is my profession, my passion and my life, and for those mistakes I am truly sorry. ... I have much work ahead, but look forward to earning back the trust and respect of the New York Mets, the fans and especially my teammates."
The 28-year-old Mejia, whose ban was given to him on February 12, 2016 after three violations of the joint drug prevention and treatment program, applied for reinstatment earlier this year.
The Mets and Mejia -- who remains on the Mets' roster on the restricted list -- agreed to a one-year deal worth $1.7 million prior to the season, though he will not be paid this season since he will not be accruing service time.