Seth Lugo was the Mets' best option out of the bullpen last season.
The 30-year old posted a 2.70 ERA in 61 appearances last year, but Lugo has been adamant in his desires to be a starting pitcher.
Lugo's last start came in 2018, but he feels the course of his career as a starter changed after a start against the Houston Astros in 2017, the same season they were guilty of stealing signs illegally.
Lugo had posted five shut-out innings on September 2 of that year against Houston, but things unraveled for him in the sixth.
"I remember being really confused after the game," Lugo told Bleacher Report. "How did that happen? What was going on? I felt like I was making good pitches."
Lugo then allowed three hits and a walk before being yanked without recording an out in the sixth. After the game, former Mets' general manager Sandy Alderson told Lugo he would not face a lineup a third time through. He wound up doing so since then.
According to Bleacher Report, the Mets told Lugo it was to save his elbow, which he insisted was fine.
Lugo made five more starts that year, and just five total in 2018, his last coming on June 25. of that season.
Lugo mentioned that he could have made more money as a fifth starter heading into arbitration.
"The frustrating thing is, there's no answers," said Lugo. "It's all just hypotheticals."