Infield prospect Andres Gimenez blasted a solo homer to right field to break a 2-2 tie in the eighth inning as the Mets beat the Cardinals, 3-2, on Friday afternoon at Clover Park in Port St. Lucie. >> Box Score
5 things to know about Friday's game...
1) Brandon Nimmo returned to the lineup after missing two games to undergo cardiac tests (he's fine). Nimmo got the start in center field, singled in his first at-bat, and finished 1-for-2 with a run scored.
2) Robinson Cano served as the designated hitter in what was his first Grapefruit League game. He drew a walk in his first at-bat and finished 0-for-1.
3) Making his second start of spring training, Marcus Stroman allowed one run on two hits while walking one and striking out one in 2.0 innings. The run Stroman allowed came on a home run he served up to Paul Goldschmidt in the first inning.
4) Jeurys Familia tossed 1.0 scoreless inning, working around one hit and one walk by getting the final batter he faced to strike out looking on three pitches. Prospect Ryley Gilliam finished things off in the ninth inning, working around Tim Tebow falling on his face on what should've been the third out on a fly ball to left field that instead turned into a double.
5) Jeff McNeil, Dominic Smith, and Wilson Ramos all notched one hit each before being lifted in the middle innings.
The Mets visit the Astros on Saturday at 1:05 p.m.