The Mets got off to a strong start to their four-game series against the Arizona Diamondbacks on Monday when they recorded a 3-1 win. >> Box score
Five Takeaways from Monday's game
1) 1B Pete Alonso made key plays for the Mets from the plate to the field, but he did the bulk of his damage on offense. The fourth muliti-home run game of Alonso's 2019 started in the bottom of the first inning when he put New York on the board with his solo shot to left field, which marked his 46th on the season. The initial homer overtook Los Angeles Angels CF Mike Trout for the MLB lead, but Alonso was hungry for more. In the bottom of the fifth inning, Alonso's 47th jack came on a line drive down the left-field line -- another solo shot -- building the Mets' lead to 3-1. Alonso went 2 for 4 on the night with 2 RBI.
2) RHP Jacob deGrom (9-8, 2.70 ERA) gave the Mets another quality start and was rewarded with his first win since Aug. 17's 4-1 victory against the Kansas City Royals. In 7.0 innings, deGrom limited the Diamondbacks to one run on three hits, striking out 11 and walking one.
3) Manager Mickey Callaway went with RHP Seth Lugo in the eighth inning and stuck with him in the ninth inning. The decision paid off when Lugo tossed 2.0 perfect innings -- six up and six down -- with four strikeouts to seal deGrom's strong start.
4) Outside of Alonso, the Mets received timely hitting when SS Amed Rosario lined an RBI single to center field in the bottom of the fourth inning and scored C Wilson Ramos. Rosario, who went 2 for 3 out of the eight spot, added to the Mets' much-needed run support for deGrom and extended the lead to 2-1 at the time.
5) Diamondbacks 2B Wilmer Flores is still loved by Citi Field fans, who greeted the six-year Mets INF (2013-18) with a standing ovation when he walked to the plate in the top of the second inning for his first plate appearance back in New York. Flores, who went X for X on the night, stopped for a second and took the moment in. He tipped his helmet and shot deGrom a wink with a smile before grounding out to Alonso for the first out of the inning. Flores bested deGrom in the top of the fifth inning when he put the Diamondbacks on the board with a solo shot to left field -- his eighth all season -- while the Mets led 2-1.
The Mets continue their four-game home series against the Diamondbacks with RHP Zack Wheeler (10-7, 4.33 ERA) against RHP Zac Gallen (3-4, 2.50 ERA) Tuesday at 7:10 p.m. on SNY.