The Mets beat the Cardinals, 10-8, on Sunday afternoon in Jupiter >> Box score
Five things to know about Sunday's game
1. Dominic Smith, battling for a spot on the Opening Day roster -- and potentially the starting job at first base -- had a huge game, going 3-for-4 (including a mammoth three-run homer he hit to right field. He is hitting .500 this spring.
2. Zack Wheeler struggled in what was his second spring start, allowing three runs on four hits while walking two and striking out one in 1.2 innings.
3. Travis d'Arnaud, who was playing in his first game since undergoing Tommy John surgery last season, started as the DH and went 1-for-3 with an RBI.
4. In the battle for the final few spots in the bullpen, Drew Smith tossed 1.1 scoreless innings (allowing two hits, walking none and striking out two), Luis Avilan tossed 1.0 perfect inning while striking out one, and Tyler Bashlor allowed one run on three hits while walking one and striking out one in 2.0 innings. Kyle Dowdy struggled, allowing three runs (two earned) on three hits while walking two and striking out none in just 2/3 of an inning.. Avilan is expected to make the team as a second lefty to complement Justin Wilson, and Dowdy -- a Rule 5 pick -- is expected to make it as well.
5. Juan Lagares started in center field and had a strong game, going 3-for-5 with three runs scored and making a dazzling running catch in center field with his back to home plate.
One half of the Mets' split squad hosts the Red Sox on Monday at 1:10 p.m. on SNY, with LHP Steven Matz getting the start.
The other half of the Mets' split squad travels to face the Astros on Monday at 1:05 p.m., with Corey Oswalt getting the start.