The Mets kicked off their nine-game homestand with a big 9-2 win over the Indians at Citi Field on Tuesday night. >> Box score
Five takeaways from Tuesday's game...
1) Steven Matz was allowed to go deep into the game this time around, as he continues to show success on the bump. He did allow a solo homer to 2B Jason Kipnis in the top of the second, but the run that came across in the fourth was unearned. Overall, the lefty went 6.1 innings, allowing that one earned run on five hits while striking out seven and walking two before giving way to the bullpen for the last 2.2 frames.
2) LF J.D. Davis returned to the starting lineup tonight, after appearing Sunday as a pinch hitter due to the Mets being cautious with his right calf injury. Well, he made a statement with a bomb of a home run in his first at-bat to put the Mets up 2-1 in the bottom of the second. That was the only hit he put together tonight, going 1-for-3 with a walk as well.
3) RF Michael Conforto has certainly been hitting a hot bat, and tonight it was also clutch. His two-run moonshot to right center in the bottom of the sixth gave the Mets a 4-2 lead, one they wouldn't reliniquish
4) It was the seventh inning that the Mets truly put it together to take the Indians out of the game. Thanks to two errors in the inning by the away team, the Mets cashed in on the opportunities with four runs coming across the plate. SS Amed Rosario, another hot hitter for the Mets, singled home CF Juan Lagares for the first run of the frame. Then, 2B Joe Panik and 1B Pete Alonso hit an RBI single and double respectively.
5) Rajai Davis returned to the Mets tonight, subbing at the bottom of the lineup for LHP Justin Wilson and eventually replacing LF J.D. Davis, and he came through. Rajai Davis' 1-for-2 performance included an RBI double in the bottom of the eighth, bringing in Lagares to polish the Mets' 9-2 lead over the Indians into the final frame.
The Mets continue their series with the Indians on Wednesday at 7:10 p.m. on SNY. RHP Marcus Stroman faces RHP Adam Plutko.